TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new floor jack since my current(only 2 years old) craftsman 3 ton aluminum bit the dust. I'm pretty annoyed with the craftsman since its no new and i paid good dough for it, they don't even sell any parts for it any more except the front wheels. Problem one is it needs seals and barely jacks any more and last week a rear caster broke off. Cant get that or a rebuild kit :mad:....

Basically im looking for an aluminum jack with 3 ton capacity that will life my truck and not croak after 2 years of mild weekend warrior type use. Something with replacement parts availability would be nice too. ill go back to a steel jack if i have to, i just want something that's going to last.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had the same luck with the Craftsman. Then bought an aluminum Autocraft 2.5 ton and had the same results, a piece of junk that did not last 6 months. I don't have the answer, just don't try the Autocraft.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Harbor Freight appears to have a similar looking aluminium jack. Personally, I doubt we would be likely to find a similar jack that is 'rebuildable' with repair parts that are readily available. Should one exist, likely I could not afford it. My aluminium Craftsman jack is still working fine. The steel one that weighs a 'ton' started leaking within the first year. With a bit of research, casters should be found online from any number of sources. Seals will likely take a bit of work. Has anyone disassembled the pump to inspect and measure the seals/o-rings? I would be surprised if your jack could not be repaired after doing a bit (more) research online. My TW sits atop my jack as we speak. I don't have a lot of money to piss away, but the frustrations we are referencing, are likely closely associated with affordability and greed. Just my opinion. Gerry

·
Registered
667 Posts
First being its a Craftsman and only 2 years old I'd try to exchange it for a new one. Second, I have the one from Harbor Freight, had it for several years now. I don't use it all the time but done plenty of brake jobs, installed trailer hitches, etc. and it works great for me.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already talked to Sears and no go on exchange. 1 year warranty. I also liked for casters and a lot of people have the same problem I do. They don't bolt on my model, held on with a special clip.

I have a love hate retains hip w harbor freight but I might give their jack a try. The price is right and I can get one local.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I already talked to Sears and no go on exchange. 1 year warranty. I also liked for casters and a lot of people have the same problem I do. They don't bolt on my model, held on with a special clip.

I have a love hate retains hip w harbor freight but I might give their jack a try. The price is right and I can get one local.
Not for nuthin'... I'd push the issue with the store manager at Sears, that's just crap...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did, they won't budge, I'm a year past the warranty. If it was a day or a month I might have more of a leg to stand on. They also do t make this model any more so they can't even exchange it for a like one of they wanted to.

I heat ya that it's crap. I have always had great service from craftsman tools, this one is a big exception and from what I read on tool forums I'm not the only one that has had issues with this jack.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Unfortunately Sears and their Crapsman tools have suffered in the last decade or so. It used to be a company one could trust to treat customers right. Not so it seems anymore.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've had variable luck with Harbour Frieght jacks. When you get a "good" one it's quite awesome. But at times you have
to do some sorting. Thankfully, HF is way cool about returns and honoring warranties. At least the one near me is.
I think if you take your jack apart and do some measurement and sleuthing you can fix it as Gerry suggested, though
it may end up being more expensive than simply purchasing a new at HF. Welcome to the modern world of "disposable".

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Go buy a new one and return the old one in the new box...
Just to clarify this a bit; I would never do this if I had bought something that lasted a fair amount of time for what it is. BUT, with the big boxes selling such crap these days you never know what you're getting and I have absolutely NO reservations returning something, even if it's out of warranty, when it's a case of poor craftsmanship or quality due to cost reductions in materials. he reason for this is the company I work for sells to a few of the big boxes, and the returns we get back and eat are incredible, beat up used up parts that in NO way should be accepted for return but they don't question any of it and we eat the loss just to do business with them.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
"Go buy a new one and return the old one in the new box."

At the risk of sounding to self righteous, I would not be inclined to support that idea. Feeling cheated, then 'pulling-a-fast-one' (an expression of my Dads) does not seem to be a long term solution. I can't 'preach the gospel' on this one, or offer up any real solution... 'Screwing the guy that screwed you might serve your needs, but does little for the next guy in line.

I research, and read reviews for many of the products I buy. I also spent many years in sales. Generally speaking, consumers (me & maybe you) want/expect a product to be available now, very affordable, and come very close to meeting our 'anticipated needs'. Personally, I have come to the conclusion that this is a very 'tall order'.

In reading reviews, I have come to the conclusion that a really good product generally leaves about 12 % of consumers saying "I would not recommend". A really bad product seems to have 35% or more of the reviewers indicating they feel REALLY cheated.

The mind-set seems flawed; the retailer wants to maximize profit, and the consumer hopes to get the best for as little as possible.

I have heard soooooo many people (consumers) suggest that putting a 3 foot breaker bar on a 3/8" ratchet with a "lifetime" warranty is perfectly ok. We paid for their foolishness. Seems now we are less willing, and the retailer still wants to make the 'big bucks'. Seems to be a 'catch 22' to me. Just my opinion. Gerry

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up with one from HF yesterday. Hopefully it works fine for my use which is jacking up my truck and boat trailer. They offered a 2 year free replacement warranty as well so I got that too. If it craps out in the next two years I can just go get a new one.

I agree with you Fred on craftsman. Until recently I have always had dependable service from craftsman hand tools. I have a lot of them. I recently bought a set of impact sockets and spread one using a hand ratchet which is crazy. I brought the whole set back and they swapped it. My new ones have not been an issue. The new ones are USA made where the originals were China. The guy at the store mentioned that they are having a lot of problems with the Chinese made stuff. I can see a quality difference just looking at them. It's sad, craftsman used to be great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts