TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, i was delivering a set of stock tires to a fellow forum member. As it was 120 miles away, i had planned on a fuel stop after the drop-off. Was 90+ degrees that day, in a congested city, and wanted to keep moving toward home. Next thing ya know, i'm in the middle of amish country and the bike stutters. 'No problem' i thought, 'I have a reserve'. 20 miles later, i realize, amish horses don't use much gasoline. Now i'm nervous. Next guy i see, i'm gonna ask for the nearest gas station. Mile later, there he is! '10 miles' he say's. So off i go. I got this. GPS, shortest route, over the hills, down gravel roads to the tarmac thats leads to the town. GPS say's 4 miles to go!
2.4 miles to go, and the bike dies. DAMMIT!
Remove cap look inside to reveal what i already know. 'YOUR OUTTA GAS DUMMY'.
But wait, there's some on the other side of the tank! (Thank you Clarke). So i put the bike on it's side and stand her back up. Have another looksee. Nothing! Still on wrong side. So i remove my left pannier, put the back tire in the ditch with the bike perpendicular to the road, and lay her down again.
BINGO!
So as to give all the fluids time to get back where they belong, i take my sweet time getting the pannier back on as well as myself resuited to ride. Get on the bike, wait for clear road, hit the starter, and go. Make it to the station without incident. 'Er, further incident. My Clarke tank takes the full 2.6 gal oddly enough, and the tripometer reads 172miles. (66+ MPG @ 90deg).
So finally, my question.
Having put a couple tanks of fuel in since the afformentioned 'push my luck' feasco, i've felt as though something is just not 'right'. Did a 124 mile ride today with temps in the high 60's. bike felt as thou it was surging at higher speeds. Switched to reserve at 108 miles, when it sputtered. Refueled. 2.3gal. 54MPG. Also, the stainless header pipe is blueing ever so slightly the first 3-4".
My thought is that i need to clean the carb and install an inline filter. Any other thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks in advanced and ride safe. TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
got it figured out I believe. Stripped it down so I could remove carb and give it a good cleaning. As the removal process goes, its really pretty straight forward. Cables, hoses, boots. Ah-ha! As I go to remove the carb from the intake boot, I realize, it's not real tight. Infact, I can spin the carb between the two boots really easy.
having gone this far, I still remove and clean it just for peace of mind. Reverse order to reinstall. Starting with the intake side I tighten this clamp first. Bottom out the clamp as tight as it will go and its no better than before. The clamp has a spacer so as not to over tighten it. So I remove said spacer and shorten it by about 1/3 on the sander. Re-installed and fired it up. Good as new.
hopefully this thread will help someone out it the future. Or at least give you all another thing to check when your doing your pre-rides. Pretty sure it was the issue but will have to wait for the next fill-up to check MPG

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good work Tinman.

The air leak should make the engine run leaner.

But I'm thinking that it shouldn't severely affect your fuel mileage.

Leaner should mean using less fuel, not more.

Is my reasoning faulty?

jb

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thought the same thing jbfla. But at some point it would go the other way and hurt the fuel economy. Or at least that's my thinking. It was acting worse than stock as far as I was concerned, and I have done the carb needle shims and pilot air screw adjustment. Gonna go for a ride today and see if things improve

·
Registered
443 Posts
When the mixture is too lean then you don't get some droplets to catch and burn and then you make up for it with more open throttle

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well just a quick update now that all the wrenching is done. Took it out last night for a short ride. Didn't realize it till I started it up, but its back to not needing the choke again! Only rode a total of about 10miles. 2miles of 55mph with the remainder 35-45mph with some moderate hills. Pulled as good as I could have hoped for and then some. Didn't have to downshift to climb hills, idles better, seemed to run cooler. Pretty sure I'm done here but the MPG will be the true 'grade'. I will update this post once I get a MPG. TIM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts