TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess we're going to find out. :icon_thumleft:

I just put my money where my mouth is, and made deposits on airline tickets via Transat Airlines. Come July, Mrs Trip and I will ride our TW's up to Montreal, where they will put our on bikes on pallets, and they and us will fly to Dublin, Ireland.
Other than riding the Wild Atlantic Way up the west coast of Ireland.... 2500 km as I recall... our plans are still rough. We intend to leave our bikes either in Cork or maybe Edinburgh. We'll return and ride again...hopefully in October....

A convergence of factors prompts our trip.... There is a bit of a fare war going on between Air Canada and Transat Air for shipping bikes to Europe... way cheaper than possible from the US. And Norwegian Air has just begun flying into and out of TF Green Airport here in Rhode Island.... Dublin...$129 dollars one way. I think Edinburgh is $140... and it's 15 minutes from home. Crazy cheap fares!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I did not see this "must see" in the video. May be on your route. I would have to look for it if I were there. Have fun.

“The dilapidated cottage which was featured in ‘The Quiet Man’ was officially placed under state protection yesterday. Members of Galway County Council unanimously agreed to add White O’Morn cottage, in Maam in Connemara, to its list of protected structures,” to grant protected status to the remote dwelling, which has fallen into wrack and ruin since it featured in the 1952 John Ford-directed movie, which starred John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara.
The “Quiet Man” itself is now an enduring legend through the surrounding countryside - and a substantial tourist draw.
“Cong is one of the most beautiful and picturesque villages in Ireland surrounded by The Quiet Man film locations, Connemara countryside, nestled between Lough Mask and Lough Corrib, just 24 miles from Westport and Galway,” notes the Quiet Man Holiday Centre, loctaed in County Mayo.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to keep an eye out for that. There are so many interesting places in Ireland that it kind of boggles the mind as far as trip planning goes. County Clare is a must as Mrs Trip's ancestors came from that area. When we will be there I think the Galway Races are going on so it will difficult to find lodging in the area. We don't have any lodging arrangements and are hoping to wing it... but we'll be there in the busy season....

I did not see this "must see" in the video. May be on your route. I would have to look for it if I were there. Have fun.

“The dilapidated cottage which was featured in ‘The Quiet Man’ was officially placed under state protection yesterday. Members of Galway County Council unanimously agreed to add White O’Morn cottage, in Maam in Connemara, to its list of protected structures,” to grant protected status to the remote dwelling, which has fallen into wrack and ruin since it featured in the 1952 John Ford-directed movie, which starred John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara.
The “Quiet Man” itself is now an enduring legend through the surrounding countryside - and a substantial tourist draw.
“Cong is one of the most beautiful and picturesque villages in Ireland surrounded by The Quiet Man film locations, Connemara countryside, nestled between Lough Mask and Lough Corrib, just 24 miles from Westport and Galway,” notes the Quiet Man Holiday Centre, loctaed in County Mayo.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Way cool. I am really jealous. I am 1/2 Irish on my mothers side. Daugherty county Donegal.. Several in my family have been over to visit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm so very very jealous and definitely looking forward to this trip report!!! :D

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Great ride report Jim!! :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have spent a bit of time in Ireland myself. Wife and I drove around the country for two weeks. We stayed in bed and breakfast private homes the entire trip. Great experience and a lovely destination 073_73.JPG PR09841045233.jpg PR09841045238.jpg

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been following it - great pics and narrative .....
Thanks, Purple. Unfortunately, not going to make it to Anglesey this time. Is it as rainy as Ireland?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amazing; although if you zoom in, this guy appears to be giving you a bit of a disapproving look. Very happy for you two.

View attachment 119802
Yeah. He was keeping a close eye on us, even if they look like they are contentedly grazing. It was remote there, but I was surprised to see large game.
PS. Cong was a great suggestion. Cool place, too bad it was so rainy when we were there or we would have spent more time.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have spent a bit of time in Ireland myself. Wife and I drove around the country for two weeks. We stayed in bed and breakfast private homes the entire trip. Great experience and a lovely destination View attachment 119810 View attachment 119818 View attachment 119826
What a great place to visit, huh? We have stayed mostly in B&Bs ourselves this trip. They are the most reasonable alternative here other than hostels.
I recognize your first photo...Killarney National Park?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts