TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This format is terrible.
Why do I have solid gray blobs I can't see through going down the posts?
The graphics are distracting.
I never cared about ads.
What does it take to get rid of this or to go to a different format.

This is the worst format in the world. Nobody should use this format. Everyone should use a format different than this forum. My Triumph forum did the same thing. It is a heaping pile of turd there also. Not as much of a loss as the forum members are not as tight as the regulars here. When was the last time anyone had a good series of discussions with anyone. I only scan threads now with a topic that draws me in and even then my time is brief.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
change is hard and there is always a time for adjustment and acclimation... but that said: this new format sucks.

desired information is now not obvious at a glance and the pages are much more busy.

·
Registered
19,816 Posts
But folks, we now get the option of a dark screen. Big Deal.
Everything else in the new software lies somewhere between somewhat and very disappointing.
Administration's lack of sympathy or response seems to indicate they plan to endure our complaints until we either leave or accept the non-working search feature, missing historical posts, missing photos, mysterious photos from other members in our posts, and other changes that scream anti-progress .
So who has a birthday today?
Let us know or celebrate in solitude since we are no longer are informed.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
But folks, we now get the option of a dark screen. Big Deal.
Everything else in the new software lies somewhere between somewhat and very disappointing.
Administration's lack of sympathy or response seems to indicate they plan to endure our complaints until we either leave or accept the non-working search feature, missing historical posts, missing photos, mysterious photos from other members in our posts, and other changes that scream anti-progress .
So who has a birthday today?
Let us know or celebrate in solitude since we are no longer are informed.
Yesterday I was searching for a photo from one of my old posts from several years ago. I ended up search 2 old posts. Every single photo was gone. Over the course of this winter, I'd like to re-add the photos or change the thread but can't since the edit button has been removed.

Not that anyone would go back that far to view/read a several-year-old post but it's kind of pointless to be reading my captions to photos that do not exist.

I didn't know progress would result in the taking away of tools. And so it goes...

·
Registered
144 Posts
This format is terrible.
Why do I have solid gray blobs I can't see through going down the posts?
The graphics are distracting.
I never cared about ads.
What does it take to get rid of this or to go to a different format.

This is the worst format in the world. Nobody should use this format. Everyone should use a format different than this forum. My Triumph forum did the same thing. It is a heaping pile of turd there also. Not as much of a loss as the forum members are not as tight as the regulars here. When was the last time anyone had a good series of discussions with anyone. I only scan threads now with a topic that draws me in and even then my time is brief.
???? “ it’s a heaping pile of turd “ pmsl , haha , yeah it’s taking some getting used to I admit , “ If it’s not broken ? Don,t try and fix it “ , but apparently “ technology” is the future !!!
should we invent the wheel again?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not having a terrible time with the new format, but I also wasn't unhappy with the old one.... :unsure:

That said, I'm not a mobile user. I use a Mac, with Firefox and its built-in ad blocker, and things seem to work pretty well.

I've reviewed some of my older threads (granted, I've only been here a couple of years), and my photos seem to be intact.

My biggest problem is that all the emojis have changed, and I tend to use a lot of emojis! :geek:

Now all my old beer mugs show up as horror faces, and a lot of the other emojis just show up as text.

Oh well... I hope there's not a mass exodus from this forum because of the change. I like the people here.

P.S. - I just edited a post from 4/1/2017 (and also this one), so they seem to have fixed the editing problem.
Steve's '87 "day mods"

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
I'm not having a terrible time with the new format, but I also wasn't unhappy with the old one.... :unsure:

That said, I'm not a mobile user. I use a Mac, with Firefox and its built-in ad blocker, and things seem to work pretty well.

I've reviewed some of my older threads (granted, I've only been here a couple of years), and my photos seem to be intact.

My biggest problem is that all the emojis have changed, and I tend to use a lot of emojis! :geek:

Now all my old beer mugs show up as horror faces, and a lot of the other emojis just show up as text.

Oh well... I hope there's not a mass exodus from this forum because of the change. I like the people here.

P.S. - I just edited a post from 4/1/2017 (and also this one), so they seem to have fixed the editing problem.
Steve's '87 "day mods"
Hallelujah! Thanks to your mention I went back to an old post and sure enough, you can now edit. WOOHOO!!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As I mentioned before...using AdBlocker is pretty much a necessity on any forum nowadays ; the ad campaigns are incessant and over-the-top.
I also mentioned that EVERY other forum I've been a member of, has died a horrible death when going to this sort of format...but I sure hope this isn't the case here...now that I've FINALLY got a TW again!

I may have also mentioned that I have been a member on several of the FREE forums (Invision, Proboards) out there...forums that have been around for over a decade...and show no signs of 'converting'. Granted there is some advertising that goes on...but again: Adblock and all is well.
Going to a web-based FREE forum IS an option if anyone wants to explore that.....

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
As I mentioned before...using AdBlocker is pretty much a necessity on any forum nowadays ; the ad campaigns are incessant and over-the-top.
I also mentioned that EVERY other forum I've been a member of, has died a horrible death when going to this sort of format...but I sure hope this isn't the case here...now that I've FINALLY got a TW again!

I may have also mentioned that I have been a member on several of the FREE forums (Invision, Proboards) out there...forums that have been around for over a decade...and show no signs of 'converting'. Granted there is some advertising that goes on...but again: Adblock and all is well.
Going to a web-based FREE forum IS an option if anyone wants to explore that.....
lead us into the unknow!

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
You have the grey blob virus, otherwise known as "Vertical scope" disease. The first symptom is when you lose the spell checker, and then it kinda goes downhill from there. Fear not, for all your info is safe, if you know where to look for it, which will be on several different pages

The forum is now a bit like the Yamaha TW manual, where all things can be found (if you know which of the 200 page PDF it’s on, if it’s there at all)

The resulting chaos means more clicks to find what was in front of your face on the old forum, and clicks can be converted into advertising revenue. The end result is so many ads that you need to use an ad blocker to read anything on here, which rather negates the point, but VS hasn’t realised that the more it rains on here, the more the membership will use umbrellas

As soon as the ads become intrusive, we (the members) will block all ads – cause and effect, or as Mr Smarty Pants put it, “for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction”

The forum as it stands is an absolute train wreck, or as some would put it, “a steaming pile of dog poo” (and that’s being polite). But that’s just the starting template, and everything has to start somewhere. The biggest gripe was the time limit for editing posts, and today, that seems to have been removed. Hopefully, other things can be replaced, modified more to look and feel like the old forum, but that takes time

All we as members can do, is to keep complaining about specific issues until either they fix it, or we bail out to the other site, and just use this one for reference. But the one thing that is not going to away is the ads, so I suggest finding a way to block the lot, or you’ll be swamped

They pulled this stunt over at the Ducati site, and lost 90% of their traffic because of it when the members started up a new board. Hopefully we won’t need to pull anything quite as drastic, but it remains a very real possibility. VS know this, and hopefully have learned that it is more important to listen and change, rather than be intractable

Time will tell, but it looks promising so far – if not, so be it …..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Inasmuch as I would like the old forum back...I don't want to be the one that leads the 'mutiny', unless there is an overall consensus.
Change IS difficult...but I think we should give this new format a chance, given the huge amounts of knowledge that is already present here.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Vstrom forum also uses this format.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm new enough not to have a frame of reference -- It's all new to me. Only frustrating thing I've seen so far is older posts missing photos. It's especially disappointing for anything tech related.
I've been a member of several different (non-TW) forums over the last 10-12 years and seen plenty of transitions. Even been part of a mutiny. My experience is that it would have been ideal to fix the original site rather than start a new one. The original really suffered and the new one never really took off and is currently circling the drain. The long term result was a lot of guys just dropped out all together taking their knowledge and builds with them.
Forum operators get touchy about revenue. I'm currently in the process of migrating my content away from another forum because the owner has turned into a click-greedy tyrant over the last few months. We were "forbidden" from employing ad blockers and then heavily censored if it wasn't considered "advertiser friendly" content. Its was a relatively tame site and we didn't change, the owner's financial desires did. His site, his rules, I guess.

My new guy impression is that this is a solid forum. Hopefully the changes can be tweaked to tolerable conditions for the long term guys.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've been using an ad blocker for years. I don't bother with any site that doesn't allow it. If a few not so invasive ads were here and there it would be ok, but they track your overall online activity and the ads creepily reflect it. Some of which dominate way too much of the screen.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The "Brave" browser blocks all ads, pop-ups, and tracking. It is, therefore, very fast. It makes the new format usable, at least.

They have a mobile version, also.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been using an ad blocker for years. I don't bother with any site that doesn't allow it. If a few not so invasive ads were here and there it would be ok, but they track your overall online activity and the ads creepily reflect it. Some of which dominate way too much of the screen.
Same here. I click off any site that says " We see that you're using an ad blocker so if.......blah blah.... I do not watch ads or commercials. I will not pay extra for no ads either like on Spotify. I only listen to Spotify while riding so I will just sing to myself or ask Google questions while their ads play.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts