TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is not dip finish. That would be pretty expensive I've heard. No, this is sticky back plastic paper. I got it here;

CamoSKINZ - Now Entering Camo Country

They make a permanent and a removable version. The permanent is cheap, the removable a bit more expensive. I went with the removable. It also stretches some. I bought a brand called "Kings Shadow" in a pattern called "Mountain Shadow".

I got a 2' x 5' piece and it was a bit too small. Look close at the front fender; it's pieces. That is a white fender that I put the camo on, then I masked off and sprayed with 'Plasti-Dip' spray paint stuff. The neat thing about the spray is that it will peel off like a sunburn when you want, but has plenty of UV properties and will stay there as long as you wish. If it gets damaged, just reapply the spray. I've seen whole cars done on youtube with the stuff. Some folks use it to spray their wheels to protect from salt damage during winter.

Anyways, I made my 2x5 piece work. Took me a couple days fussing with it. Stretching and pulling, nipping and tucking. I have no idea how long or durable it is, but for $50, it's worth the effort.

My goal is to be as stealthly as I can get. I've already quieted down the engine rattle by putting a stainless steel XT225 header on there. The thicker wall makes the motor much more quiet.
Not in the photo, but I will write up someday, is a copper 3/4" 45* elbow with a 2" 3/4" copper stinger on it. This directs the exhaust down towards the ground and makes the bike another several db quieter. I got another db or two quieter by using Rotella oil.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would guess that a 2x5 sheet would work for a stock TW200. I have the XT225 tank and that's bigger and with 'wings' to cover to boot.

To camo the wing grids, I used some krylon plastic in a flat moss green, then topped that with a paint called 'terra cotta' used to paint flower pots to look new again. They Krylon should make what ever I put over the top of, stick to the plastic as it's touted to be made for plastic. We will see...

I'm thinking of spraying the lower forks, swing arm and sections of the frame with Plasti-Dip as well. Something that will knock the shine off the finish, but not permanently alter the color in case I want to go back to stock.

One nice thing about the stretchy plastic sheeting is that it's removable AND it protects the original plastic. If I ever go to sell this thing, the plastic will look pretty new after peeling this stuff off.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Nice. Maybe camo seat cover is next?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. Maybe camo seat cover is next?
Indeed! Any suggestions on where to find some material? I've done motorcycle seat covers before, have the stapler even. I'd rather keep this seat stock and find a used seat pan and foam to experiment with.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
camo neoprene fabric/neoprene camouflage fabric/neoprene fabric patterned -remove staples from your existing pan and save cover. I used similar in black and just stretched to fit but you could have material sewn to match old cover.

Or search internet or local fabric stores for a domestic source. The link was just fruit of a one minute google search for "Neoprene camouflage material"

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great job!! Looks awesome. I did my 02 in the peel and stick 3M camo. It will certainly try your patience but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dubster; is the film staying on, or does it come loose?

Also, what did you use to keep the black edging bead from falling off? Some sort of glue I would guess?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dubster; is the film staying on, or does it come loose?

Also, what did you use to keep the black edging bead from falling off? Some sort of glue I would guess?
NoHair McNair the black edging is automotive door edging and has an adhesive built in. I did use my heat gun to help shape it and help it to better adhere.I used it wherever I could on the headlight shroud,front and rear fender. On the side covers I used aluminium duct tape on the backside where the film overlapped. That stuff sticks like crazy. I put the film on the sides of the gas tank then taped it off just inside the edge of the film and then sprayed the tank with bedliner overlapping the edge. In fact most of the black on the bike was sprayed with bedliner....pretty much everything except the engine.exhaust and wheels. I love the stuff. It's like textured powder coating in a can and tough as nails.
So far,and its been a couple years now, I haven't noticed any peeling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts