TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my TW200 second hand two years ago,( year of manufacture 2000.) Since then I had No problem starting, it always started the first time until two weeks ago due to heavy rain and mud did topple to the right side , after straighten it started fine moment later I stopped her put the kickstand. When I tried to start the next time it was on a gear and the stand was down. After this, now it will not start even when the motorcycle is not in a gear and kick stand up.
I have included a small video trying to start on neutral and holding the clutch and on a gear. What can be the cause. Once I tried to push start on a gear it almost started and stopped. Felt like the clutch was slipping. kickstart do not work either. Can someone help please

·
Super Moderator
21,800 Posts
Try a fresh new spark plug. Charge up the battery too. A swift kick might be better than the starter button.

·
Super Moderator
21,800 Posts
O and welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Administrator
6,681 Posts
OK – in the video – green light – starter – she’s turning over really slow and the neutral light is dimming as you push the button. Not enough electricity.

No idea what you’re doing after that because the video doesn’t show it clearly – but the starter was cranking it over at twice the speed.

So – let’s start at the beginning.

Whip the seat off and look at the battery – fluid levels. Are the connections tight ?

Safety cut outs – the bike is designed not to start in gear (clutch or no clutch) while the stand is down. If in gear and the stand is up, it will not start without pulling the clutch lever in. And with the stand down, the bike must be in neutral to start. And in no circumstances will it start with the kill switch off.

Once you can confirm you understand the above, we’ll move onto the various cut out switches themselves ……

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
Try removing the spark plug and putting a little gas in the cylinder, replace the spark plug and crank/kick and see if it runs. If it starts and runs this could point to a fuel supply issue. If it doesn't start could be more electrical in nature.

My first thought was what purple has mentioned with the safety switches (clutch, kickstand, & neutral safety).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Purple, I really appreciate your help, the second crank in the video is with the side stand up, holding the clutch lever in and on the first gear. I have checked the battery fluid levels and it was very low. So at the moment I have top-up and have put on slow charge. The battery charger (CTEK) is showing that the battery is good. As I am in Sri Lanka it’s almost 10pm and my eyesight is not perfect to work in the night. I will check and let you know tomorrow. I understand what you have said. Just to let you know this problem first started when I tried to put to the first gear forgetting the side stand was down. Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Welcome. Purple gives good advice to start solving your problem. Please start there with basics.

OK. I see your latest post. Have you tried starting in neutral? Not in any gear, with side stand up? My bike usually will not start unless in neutral.

You say " the kick start do not work."
What does this mean? Is there a problem, noise, in-operability, broken parts with the kickstart? Or does the kick starter lever function as it is supposed to but just will not start the engine?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Admiral, I really appreciate the help you are giving. I have tried putting some gas in and have checked the spark plug, it’s giving a spark. But did not start. Once I tried to push start on the first gear it did start for few seconds automatically it jumped to neutral. I manage to do it only once. As it is raining everyday for the last few months and the ground is so wet and muddy and no grip to try it again. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,800 Posts
See post #2

:D

Use the kicker once you have the battery charged. Kick it hard and fast...

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I bet the rain and the mud does not help. The video shows starter spinning the engine in neutral at a good speed even though your battery had low electrolyte levels so that seems not the problem. Also the spark plug and gas test did not reveal any obvious problem. Since problem started after bike tipped over in the mud maybe check all the electrical plugs under the seat as well as wiring from stator to make sure something did not get knocked loose or wires cut when the bike fell over.
I had a similar problem this summer that was eventually fixed with a new source coil but it is too soon to assume that is your problem. You have my sympathy for what must be a very frustrating problem. Good luck. Maybe tomorrow the sun will shine and bike will be happy with a fully charged battery. If not we can hopefully help you diagnose more.

·
Registered
931 Posts
"Raining every day for the last few months" -- Holy Hell! I wouldn't run either. This TW probably has water in everything. All electrical connectors need to be cleaned and corrosion protected (CorrosionX, WD40, Contact cleaner, anything!). Start with the main fuse. Then, check the kill switch on the handlebars. It can go bad due to wetness. Also, I would short out that kickstand switch or remove it, I did.

Plus, remember this is a 25 year old motorcycle. It is a miracle it runs at all if it has lived in that climate all its life.

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
Has spark but wouldn't pop with the gas in cylinder trick eh? If you had spark and gas, it should have tried to start or at least popped over. I guess this rules out a carb issue if it didn't even want to start when you poured gas directly into the cylinder.

I know this sounds silly, but look to make sure the engine kill switch isn't engaged. Without looking at my TW's, I can't remember if the engine will turn over and have spark if the fuse is broken, but this could be an item to check, but not likely I thing.

Now you tried push starting and it did start for a bit. Huh! Until you rule out the clutch and/or kickstand switch I'm at a loss for anything I've experienced.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Always try the push start with 2nd gear (or third). 1st is too slow to turn bike easily.
Always use electrical starter (or kicker) with bike in neutral. If its in gear (even with clutch in) the starter or kicker can not sometimes turn the electrical system fast enough to create sufficient spark.
You probably have a weak spark (bad connection, slow turn over, or frayed wiring???). Keep after it. Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I managed to start the motorcycle today and I would like to thank everybody (purple, admiral, Fred, littletommy) for their help and support and I am proud to be a TW200 owner the worlds awesome bike.

Here’s what I did as for your advice,

1) Top-up battery fluid and charged the battery.
2) Got a new spark plug.
3) removed spark plug and sprayed some petrol. The engine did not fire with the old plug, but did with the new NGK spark plug.
4) Engine slowly start firing but looks like some thing was blocking the carb. With the choke pulled out it slowly cleared the blockage. It is OK now. Hope it stays this way. The first video shows how it
Started and the second after running for some time.

Once again thanks guys. God Bless.

·
Super Moderator
21,800 Posts
I managed to start the motorcycle today and I would like to thank everybody (purple, admiral, Fred, littletommy) for their help and support and I am proud to be a TW200 owner the worlds awesome bike.

Here’s what I did as for your advice,

1) Top-up battery fluid and charged the battery.
2) Got a new spark plug.
3) removed spark plug and sprayed some petrol. The engine did not fire with the old plug, but did with the new NGK spark plug.
4) Engine slowly start firing but looks like some thing was blocking the carb. With the choke pulled out it slowly cleared the blockage. It is OK now. Hope it stays this way. The first video shows how it
Started and the second after running for some time.

Once again thanks guys. God Bless.

Yeah!!! So glad you got it. It can be so frustrating when your bike won't run. It usually is something simple though and fixable. Glad to have been a little help bro!! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.