TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now I have been researching to find weather I could haul my TDub behind my Patriot on a carrier rack. The Patriot forum said no way but Some TDubbers said maybe. I got a lot of pics of people hanging them off of pickups, vans or what have you but not much in the way of small vehicles. Our Princess Auto had a couple of racks in steel and aluminium running 50 lbs for either so I bought the 85 buck steel one. DSCN0854 (Medium).JPG
Loading up the bike I noticed how high the front was riding and a small move down the driveway was all it took to convince me it ain't happening with this bike. Least now I know. Living in a condo there is really no room for a trailer so that's out for now too. Now to try to resell the damn thing.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I may have mentioned it in that thread, I know I have somewhere here on the forum before. Our wrangler will not haul Tw on the back rack, just like your Patriot. Our 2002 liberty will haul it just fine. Matter of fact, I hauled it down to Fred's in Reno and back without issue. Of course you wouldn't want to go wrenching the steering wheel real crazy.

Just a thought, they have those fold-able 4x8 trailers. I suspect a little more hassle than the hitch carrier, but could save some room with the condo thing going on!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resell the damn thing???? The bike or the carrier?

Could you get some air lift rear shocks?
Ha ha. Never the bike. And my Jeep dealer suggested the air shocks. Only $2500. :rolleyes: Naw, I'll just keep workin on it. Foldable trailer might work. Too bad cause a couple of friends from the Island (Vancouver) are headed for Moab on the twentieth. Maybe I'll have it worked out for the TDub Moab meet.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Princess Auto is pretty cool with returns. Doesn't really solve your problem but might get all your money back.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
hitch11.jpg

Just an idea, but mabe put a hitch in the front and get a rack and put a heavy thing to counterbalance the weight? I don't know the towing capacity of a Patriot or whether not that would be a good idea, but maybe...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have that exact bike carrier and it carries my TW just fine. It's also carried my DR650 all over the place, including from Oregon to southern Nevada and back.

Now, I've made a few modifications to mine, however. I welded the thing up (in addition to the bolts) and built a 6' long ramp to replace the stupid little POS it comes with. The ass end of my Dodge RAM dually (4x4) sits kinda high so I had to do something.

But yes, that thing will carry the bike just fine, and it will do so without welding (IMO).

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: jeffrolives

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was able to level the Ranger with the TW on the rack by installing Monroe air shocks. $60. Not as good as air bags but it did solve the problem quite economically.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Tongue weight is likely the issue with these smaller vehicles. Add the weight of a wet TW plus a rack and then do some math because the rack is mounted further back than where the actual ball is and you have a recipe for disaster. About 300 pounds tongue weight is what most vehicle mounted hitches are rated for and you are well over that limit. I suspect if a Patriot was a rear wheel drive you could probably do wheelies with the TW hanging off the far rear. A small trailer is the only real answer in these cases and keeping the tongue weight at right around 200 pounds max would be my suggestion.

You could do a test yourself if you have a bathroom scale that goes over 400 pounds. Park the vehicle on flat, level ground. Set the scale right under the ball of the hitch with just the ball receiver installed and cut a piece of 2X4 so the scale reads zero. Now put the MC carrier on and cut a 2X4 so the scale reads the actual weight of the carrier but keep the 2x4 right where the ball was, 85 pounds in this case. Now load the TW and see what you get. I believe a wet TW all loaded with the accessories we have weighs over 300 pounds but when you figure in the distance further behind the ball this goes up substantially. I will not be at all surprised if you are adding over 500 pounds off the back end of your vehicle. The alternative is above. Install a substantial front end hitch and buy another TW and carrier so one offsets the weight of the other.

GaryL

·
Registered
614 Posts
I put front hitches on all my vehicles.I find that my gmc sierra will run a bit hot on really hot days with the bike up front and my camper on the back but it has not been a problem yet.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have that exact bike carrier and it carries my TW just fine. It's also carried my DR650 all over the place, including from Oregon to southern Nevada and back.

Now, I've made a few modifications to mine, however. I welded the thing up (in addition to the bolts) and built a 6' long ramp to replace the stupid little POS it comes with. The ass end of my Dodge RAM dually (4x4) sits kinda high so I had to do something.

But yes, that thing will carry the bike just fine, and it will do so without welding (IMO).
The carrier would do fine with a couple of modifications. Ie: it only inserts a couple of inches into the receiver before the pin holes align. As the fitment is very sloppy to begin with, this would not do. Then there's that sloppiness. Worse than a fifty year old whore.
And as for return, I am 350 kms from Princess Auto. Shipping would run me half the cost anyway. It is already listed on Kijiiji and Used Kootenays.
Also started looking into some DIY air systems. Nothing for the Patriot yet. And don't forget, my Yanqui buds, my Canadian choices are very limited. And ordering from the Land of Everything usually jacks the price unreasonably.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
You might find some DIY airbag, air shocks or helper springs for not much money. Certainly there are hitch-keepers and other devices to tighten up the slop should you go over big bumps like this guy.

Reactions: bananachunks

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sell the Jeep and get a 4 door truck, 1/2 ton super crew cab is what I ride, nicer inside then most cars/suvs and have the truck bed and can tow also best of both worlds :) wont need air bags or such in the bed of a truck. You can get a 4 door small truck also that will haul it fine like the chevy Colorado and such? Just my opinion anyways.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Sell the Jeep and get a 4 door truck, 1/2 ton super crew cab is what I ride, nicer inside then most cars/suvs and have the truck bed and can tow also best of both worlds :) wont need air bags or such in the bed of a truck. You can get a 4 door small truck also that will haul it fine like the chevy Colorado and such? Just my opinion anyways.
You could get a man size truck, and just put it in the bed.

41RwHxMzagL._SY400_.jpg

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine has two sets of holes in the receiver side of things... one to leave it out a ways, the other to slide it in a ways. I use either depending on which bike I'm carrying.

The airbags will help those who got 'em. I have airbags on my truck but don't use them til I hook up my 5th wheel. The carrier and bike doesn't squat it but maybe an inch, if that. If my truck didn't sit so high I'd just carry the thing in the bed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts