TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 weeks ago I was following my friend to this trail to ride on. The trail was maybe 30 minutes away and I was working my TW pretty hard. Driving about 55-60 for the majority of the drive. As soon as I pull off the road and get on the trail, my TW kinda sputters and starts lurching forward before it dies. I try to turn it on again and just let it idle. It runs for maybe 10 feet then the same thing happens, starts lurching forward when I give it some throttle and it dies. At this point, I wasn't really sure what was wrong with it so I just let it sit for a little while hoping maybe it just overheated. But now it won't start at all. This all happened the weekend before finals so I didn't really get a chance to work on it till I got done with my finals and had moved back home for the summer.

Anyways, I replaced the spark plug hoping that was the problem but that did nothing (I did take the plug out and check the spark color. It is a blue/white spark). Then I cleaned out the carb hopeful that some junk had just got stuck in the jets or something. Still no luck. I noticed the carb was drenched in fuel (bad gasket I assumed) so I bought a carb rebuild kit and diaphragm set from procycle and replaced all those parts. I took the air filter cover off hoping maybe it was just too clogged and the bike wasn't getting enough air. I cleaned out around the air filter really well so no crap would be sucked into the carb and tried to start the bike. The bike will try to turn over and might idle for a little less than a second before it dies but no longer that that. It will backfire every now and then also. I have tried adjusting the pilot jet starting all the way in and rotating 1/2 turn until it got to 2 turns out but still no luck. That is where I am now and I really don't know where to go from there. :(

Anyone have any clue what I can try next?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Someone will be along shortly with real mechanic skills. But for clarification, are you saying that the carb is flooding or leaking or both?

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone will be along shortly with real mechanic skills. But for clarification, are you saying that the carb is flooding or leaking or both?
Well I don't think it is flooding, just whenever I looked at the carb after taking it apart the the first time, I noticed the left side of the carb was soaked in gasoline, like gasoline was leaking out of the left side of the bowl whenever the bike was on it's kickstand. Since I replaced the gasket, I haven't noticed the any gasoline on the carb. And I have breifly looked through the manuals but mostly just googling and going from there.

It's worth noting that I have the old style carb. My bike is a 2000.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Did you switch the petcock to reserve?

When ever anything doesn't seem right in the way my TW is running I always switch to reserve -- I can't tell you how many times the problem went away when I did that.

Pour a little gas in the spark plug hole and try to start it. If it runs well for a second or two then it is not electrical or mechanical -- it is the carburetor. If the compression is good it is not mechanical. Good luck finding an electrical problem. That can take a lot of patience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have it on reserve right now but still no luck. I will try to pour a little gas in the spark plug hole to see if that helps.

I appreciate all your help, I am just ready to ride my bike again!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Pull the tank and dump the remaining gas in the tank into a white bucket and tell us all what you see. Remove the petcock completely and check the screens. My bike had the exact same issue and here is what I found. This crap only comes out through the petcock hole after removal.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
WHOAH!

That was a LOT of crap in that tank!!:eek:

You're right, just dumping the tank upside down with that amount of crap won't work....it has to be flushed twice with the petcock removed....there are a lot of little nooks where crap can hide only to re-appear like a bad in-law.:p

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
WHOAH!

That was a LOT of crap in that tank!!:eek:

You're right, just dumping the tank upside down with that amount of crap won't work....it has to be flushed twice with the petcock removed....there are a lot of little nooks where crap can hide only to re-appear like a bad in-law.:p
Dumping the TW tank from the fill hole is a complete waste of effort. There is a shroud around the entire fill hole that won't allow the crud out. You have to remove the petcock and rotate all the remaining fuel so it comes to the petcock hole and do it a few times to get all these wonderful ethanol remnants out. If you see what I got you might want to use some sort of rust removal concoction in the tank before you put it back in service and absolutely add an in line filter. Oh, did I mention Ethanol SUCKS!

GaryL

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
POR-15 fuel tank sealer is a 3 step procedure. First is the cleaner / degreaser. second is metal prep, and third is applying the sealer.

This is what came out of the tank after just using the cleaner / degreaser.

P2171264.JPG

·
Registered
850 Posts
Heres an easy diagnostic:

Youve already isolated the fact that its a fuel problem.

There are only 2 options left.

1. Your fuel is bad for some unusual reason....water, crap in tank, witches curse, etc.

2. Your carb is shot. carbs are cheap, spoil yourself and buy a new one.

There arent too many other possibilities.

Your solutions are to replace the carb or to clean crap out of your tank and replace the petcock and fuel lines. Ive had a similar situation on a KLX650. Running great and then immediately no running in the middle of nowhere. Turned out I had a SHOCKING amount of crap and iron sediment in my tank. Towed bike home, excavated crap from tank, resumed riding.

Motorcycles are simple, their problems and solutions are simple. No need to make it complicated.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The repair department at my local Ace Hardware had two 5 gallon buckets full of bad carbs from lawn mowers, last time I was in. Every one of them killed by the "Ethanol Curse". They just remove 'em and replace 'em.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I drained all of the gas out if the tank thought the fuel line a few days ago but didn't remove the petcock. I replaced it with some ethonal free gas but I will completely drain the tank and see if any crap comes out with it. If it is a bad carburetor, any suggestions on where to buy them? EBay or just Google till I find one?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You can buy a new carb from Yamaha at a lot of places and for different prices. Best I have heard is right around $250 and well worth saving all the BS of finding and rebuilding a good used one.

Poor running on a TW is almost always in some way related to the fuel flow system. Bad gas, dirt and sediment in the tank, dirty carb or bad petcock. I highly recommend to all who listen to start at the tank and follow it all the way through the carb. If you live where pure gas is available it is foolish to use any E-10 fuel in any small engine. The only ones who think ethanol is a good substitute are those who are profiting from the crap and those who drink the Kool Aid. If you care to argue that then take it to the Off Topic section and be prepared to open up a can of asswoop.

GaryL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Go with the things you can do for free, first. Taking the tank off, and the petcock and draining the tank is worth your while. No money spent, and you will either find the problem, or not. You will know. Like GaryL says, go from there, follow the fuel to the engine. You may have to buy a carburetor, but eliminating these no cost items first, you'll have more confidence when you buy the carburetor, should it be needed.

I know riding season is here, but taking the time to understand, and doing it yourself, gives you the knowledge to help yourself again by Knowing what you have. What it looks like, and how to fix it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I took the petcock off and started to drain the tank and couldn't believe all the crap that was coming out. I drained the gas but could still here crap sloshing around.

IMG_20140527_200843703_HDR.jpg IMG_20140527_202154470_HDR.jpg

I just rinsed my tank out with the hose hoping the high pressure would flush any remaining crap out. I can still see a little but of gunk that is on the bottom of the tank. Are there any recommendations on some sort of chemical additive I can add and just let it sit overnight to breakdown the rest of that crap in the tank?

I appreciate all the help by the way. I really wish I would have just started at the tank in the first place, it looks like it might have been the culprit and not the carb. No way of telling till I get the bike running I guess. Oh well, at least I got some hands on experience with carburetors!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
So I took the petcock off and started to drain the tank and couldn't believe all the crap that was coming out. I drained the gas but could still here crap sloshing around.

View attachment 6706 View attachment 6707

I just rinsed my tank out with the hose hoping the high pressure would flush any remaining crap out. I can still see a little but of gunk that is on the bottom of the tank. Are there any recommendations on some sort of chemical additive I can add and just let it sit overnight to breakdown the rest of that crap in the tank?

I appreciate all the help by the way. I really wish I would have just started at the tank in the first place, it looks like it might have been the culprit and not the carb. No way of telling till I get the bike running I guess. Oh well, at least I got some hands on experience with carburetors!
Lots of threads here on cleaning a rusty tank. Use the search function in the technical section to find them. If that crap was in your tank then you can be sure it is also in your carb but in much finer particles. Rebuild the carb and be sure to buy the float needle and seat. There is a very fine screen on the inner side of the float seat that is surely clogged.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Perhap's a bit of SeaFoam in the tank will loosen up the grit or WD-40 ( you can buy it by the gallon) ?. Keep us posted .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go to any sporting good store and buy a box of BBs. Take the tank off, empty all the fuel out, pour in BBs, shake, flush with fuel, repeat if needed.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Dont forget to replace the petcock, even if youve cleaned your tank properly! I learned the hard way on my KLX. Dont be as dumb as I was. Plus one on the BB idea thats smart thinking! Also now that youve seen the crap in your tank, try to imagine what the inside of your carb looks like after that junk has been slowly filtering through it over time.?????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts