TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an old 87 tw200 that I bought for dirt cheep as a fun little project bike and can't get it to run exactly how it should. I can get it to start every now and then but it can't stay on for long. And when tackling hills it just doesn't feel like all the power is being used. I can feel the piston moving extremely fast but the bike only slowly picks up speed as if the piston is too small or the intake for the carb is bad. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Have you checked the lithium crystals Scotty?

I know, bad joke. I'ld check the compression first. That will tell how the top end is and doesn't require any tear down. If that's good take a look into the carb. There is a thread in the technical section about the poor mans carb cleaning. You can remove the throttle cables and tilt the carb out the right side and get to the float bowl from the left side. See how much gunk you have in the float bowl. You can remove the jets and gently run a thin piece of piano wire through them. A few people recommend running Sea Foam to clean things out or at the very least, I believe as a preventative measure.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Here's the link to the Lazy Mans Carb Cleaning.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/810-lazy-mans-teikei-tk-carb-cleaning.html

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Misadjusted valves can also cause a lack of power.

That carb cleaning thread is for the newer cv type carb, but will give you an idea of what to do for the slide carb on your '87.

jb

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Hey guys, I have an old 87 tw200 that I bought for dirt cheep as a fun little project bike and can't get it to run exactly how it should. I can get it to start every now and then but it can't stay on for long. And when tackling hills it just doesn't feel like all the power is being used. I can feel the piston moving extremely fast but the bike only slowly picks up speed as if the piston is too small or the intake for the carb is bad. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum novelmuffin!! Take a peek through this link also.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/10798-how-bring-sitting-bike-back-life.html

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe a really messed up sprocket ratio even. That would be an explanation for the power. But as far as not running right and not starting, maybe carb needs cleaned. Or maybe that's the whole issue. I would start with the easiest thing first. Valves. Then the carburetor. Those are the only two I could think of. Or maybe check the compression first.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
If the engine is reving and the bike is not going you might look into the clutch discs slipping. Fuel delivery is often the issue with older TWs and that begins inside the tank, petcock, carb and the connecting boots. No or poor fuel flow equals no go! If the carb boots are leaking air then you will never get it to run right. If the carb is full of crud inside or has any of the orifices blocked then it will never run right until you fix the issue. Check your chain and sprockets, 14 teeth in the front and 50 on the rear is stock. If a previous owner changed sprocket sizes for higher top speed you would certainly notice very poor power when off road. Check your brakes, if they are dragging you will be loosing power. You have to attack this one step at a time until you find the culprit.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
"I can feel the piston move really fast".....does this mean it is revving really high? If so, maybe gearing is super low, or like GaryL said, clutch slipping. Keep after it. I love my 87.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It shouldn't be a major issue no matter which problem it is. All fairly simple stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts