TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new battery for my TW and it lasted a few month (doesn't get charged enough from lack of use and the freezing temps) Anyway, I saw a post where someone had connected a few capacitors together and start their car with them. Could I replace my battery with capacitors? I found some 500F 2.7V capacitors, could I connect 4 of them together and start the TW with them? Should I put in an inline fuse? I have a kick start as a back up. Any thoughts?
Thanks,

·
Registered
209 Posts
Draayer; I think you would be much better served by purchasing a lithium ion compact battery. I replaced my lead acid 2 years ago and have been very pleased. Check battery plus, or bulbs & batteries. Around $75.00. Your cap idea sounds a little out there for a TW, besides, you run the risk of going back-in-time...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I understand, the smart thing to do would be to buy a normal battery, but where's the fun in that? I mean the smart thing would be to buy a Prius not a TW, but who wants to do the "Smart" thing. Lets experiment, while trying to avoid the TW bursting into flames. I've already ordered 4 capacitors for $18 I'm really trying to find out if I should wire in an inline fuse, or what would be recommended if some crazy person was going to replace a battery with capacitors?
Thanks,

·
Registered
123 Posts
one can run caps instead of a battery if you've pulled the battery for some reason, but that's just to smooth out the output from the charge coils so one's lights don't flicker.
i've never heard of being able to run a starter or use them for actual normal electrical storage. think of the caps as a flywheel, mostly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are videos online of people replacing their car batteries with capacitors so I'm still trying to understand why it can't be done on a motorbike?

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for those posts, very helpful. The 2.7V 500F capacitors are the ones I ordered. If I connected 4 of them and used the balance boards, would that work in the TW? Worse case is I blow a headlight bulb or something similar?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
A capacitor (oops) charges faster then it discharges...unless you wire it backwards and then it explodes with a load bang. IIRC the negative terminal is marked.

I think it will work and bought one with the intent to install it but I always put these things off.....I bought a 50v 10000 It's the size of a small pill bottle. Also I'm running all LEDs. I figure this is enough to E start it most times if you run the bike daily. Otherwise 48 hours later you'll need to kickstart it.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
What! LOL

Anyway, there is a yamaha part number for one.

A resistor charges faster then it discharges...unless you wire it backwards and then it explodes with a load bang. IIRC the negative terminal is marked.

I think it will work and bought one with the intent to install it but I always put these things off.....I bought a 50v 10000 It's the size of a small pill bottle. Also I'm running all LEDs. I figure this is enough to E start it most times if you run the bike daily. Otherwise 48 hours later you'll need to kickstart it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
A resistor charges faster then it discharges...unless you wire it backwards and then it explodes with a load bang. IIRC the negative terminal is marked.

a resistor does not charge, it resists

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hello,
On my TW, I install a Lithium battery "home made"
They start very well with a mounting consisting of 8 batteries 26650 ANR lifepo4 3.2 volts 2.500 mAh

Even my kawasaki GTR1400 starts with this montage
On this video with 12 battery 26650

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm... Anybody have a current meter? I am curious how much power the capacitor would need to store. We would need to know the starters current draw.

We'd also need a figure for the # of seconds desired to run the motor. Energy_needed in Joules = I (amperes)*12volts*x n_Seconds

Energy storage in a cap: 1/2 C *V^2. , or C*72 in our 12 Volt case. so Farads_needed = Energy_needed/72

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
It's simpler to just increase capacitance until ac ripple at the regulator is eliminated at full load. Besides you're not running or starting the motor off of the capacitor. The ignition circuit is separate iirc and the ecu should have its own regulation. The capacitor would go on the output of the rectifier/regulator in place of the battery to level out any ac ripple on the the accessories circuit. It would never be used to start the engine (in fact disconnecting the starter switch would be a good idea as using it to dump the cap is a bad idea). There are many off the shelf capacitor kits to replace the battery on eBay, most would be fine. If your lights flicker, increase the capacitance but make sure the capacitor is rated at higher voltage than the output if the regulator, so 25v should be fine but you could go as high a voltage as you want. No need for a calculator. You could just as well tell by looking at your lights as looking at a scope if you had enough capacitance. The real question is why bother. Might as well put a racing pipe on a push lawn mower.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts