TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
When I measured the volume of the oil held in my oil lines and cooler it was less than I expected, probably less than 1/2 of a shot glass. Just keep your resting oil level near the upper mark on the sight glass and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Also a lil surprised by the metal. I read some is normal especially at break in but this is almost 3k miles and decent sized pieces.
That is more than I would expect. I got maybe 1/4 that amount at 249 miles and 14 days service for my first change.

The second change was about 750 miles, two weeks later.
Don't recall any on that oil change.

How many miles since your last oil last change?
How well was it drained?

·
Registered
299 Posts
As said, the lines and cooler only hold an ounce or two of oil, not enough to significantly affect oil level. Just keep oil to the full line and you're good. I always just dump 1 full quart in at oil changes and it usually comes out pretty much perfect, just shy of the upper hash mark.

That's a little more crud in the filter than I'd expect. The top end of the engine is done bedding in by 5-600 miles, but transmissions can take a couple thousand to fully seat it. Keep an eye on it at oil changes, but unless it has other symptoms of a problem I wouldn't worry about it. These bikes use an engine dating to the early 80's, and manufacturing tolerances seem to still be from the early 80's also (cause of the common weeping base gasket issue, gas tanks and side panels not lining up well, chain adjusters being 1-2 notches off side to side, ect).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
A good "rule of thumb" for oil levels...

Checking when cool/cold:
Level should be at or a little above bottom line.

Checking when warm/hot:
Level should be at or a little below upper line.

Whether oil is hot or cold, or a little low or a little high, level should always be visible in sight glass.

Level should be checked with bike in vertical attitude. With bike leaned over on side-stand, sight glass level will always read a little low.

Cardinal Rule: Feel good about your bike and Have Fun!
Pick one: :grin: :icon_thumleft: :single_eye: :thefinger: :eek:ccasion14: :bootyshake:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do you guys who run an oil cooler increase capacity? Or do you just fill to the factory line?
Hello,
The oil level I put just to the Max level.
oil lever with oil cooler.jpg
After a day without the engine running, the oil circuit is empty.
At the 1st start, it takes 1 minute for the oil circuit to fill, that the oil reaches the cylinder head.
Do not run the engine above 2.000 rpm for 2 minutes.
My oil cooler is this one...
Oil cooler TW.jpg

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
How much oil the cooler and lines consume depends upon the size of the cooler and lines. I have my own opinions about these coolers and their benefits. Our TWs are designed to run hot and be air cooled. I think out in a desert setting while running slow in extreme heat they will be good however here in the north east where the temp rarely gets above 90 and averages somewhere closer to 60 there is no need nor benefit from the cooler. When I had a cooler on my bike here it took considerably longer for my engine to warm up to full operating temp where the bike runs best. Cooler is of course better but not TOO Cool.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Hello,
The oil level I put just to the Max level.
View attachment 188536
After a day without the engine running, the oil circuit is empty.
At the 1st start, it takes 1 minute for the oil circuit to fill, that the oil reaches the cylinder head.
Do not run the engine above 2.000 rpm for 2 minutes.
My oil cooler is this one...
View attachment 188538
cool nerf bars !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts