TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking for crush washers for my new Subaru and came across this on a forum...not sure how far it threads in though for total oil drain but it's pretty cool...i'm debating on picking one up...too bad we can't have one of these for the TW

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CNSstt-e_7cCFcyf4AodnCMAKg

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Fram made kits with valves like this. It also came with a knurled metal cap with rubber o-ring in case you hit something and bumped your valve to turn on oil flow. The knurled cap sort of defeats the purpose I guess. In theory you could drill out your drain bolt and machine a metal finger tight cap like that

I bought a kit for some car we had and never put it on. Mostly because it doesn't save time or make things cleaner in the end. The oil takes longer to run out than the time saved by not using a socket and ratchet to pull the OEM drain bolt. Just another one of those products you buy for your grandpa at Christmas...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've used one branded Dorman EZ-Drain that was similar to the Fram style with a knurled knob on a Chevy S-10 and Isuzu Axiom. If you don't have a skid plate protecting that area I would be worried about accidentally hitting the lever on the Fumoto style. I think all cars should come with these and Speed Bleeders.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i was looking for crush washers for my new Subaru and came across this on a forum...not sure how far it threads in though for total oil drain but it's pretty cool...i'm debating on picking one up...too bad we can't have one of these for the TW

Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™
I have used those valves before & at first was a little worried that the snap ring would fail & drain the oil :(.
They hold up very well on autos & trucks but I wouldn't feel comfortable using one on a motorcycle because of ground clearence or a stick or rock hitting the thing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah but the location of the drain might be ok for the TW. Especially with a better bash plate.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used one branded Dorman EZ-Drain that was similar to the Fram style with a knurled knob on a Chevy S-10 and Isuzu Axiom. If you don't have a skid plate protecting that area I would be worried about accidentally hitting the lever on the Fumoto style. I think all cars should come with these and Speed Bleeders.
it does have a spring loaded lock on it to prevent an accidental opening

I have used those valves before & at first was a little worried that the snap ring would fail & drain the oil :(.
They hold up very well on autos & trucks but I wouldn't feel comfortable using one on a motorcycle because of ground clearence or a stick or rock hitting the thing.
the oil plug on my car is higher than other parts of the car so I feel comfortable with it...I haven't put it on yet cause I did my first oil change before it came in...on a motorcycle I would want it on the back side of the engine or very well protected on the side

Yeah but the location of the drain might be ok for the TW. Especially with a better bash plate.
that's what I was thinking

·
Registered
98 Posts
I worked for a heavy equipment rental company while living in the Indianapolis area. We used the Fram style units, they worked great. Quick hook up and compact, no spills using the drain tube... Highly recommend this type. If they make them for motorcycles I want one for each bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts