TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the forum’s experience on carb settings for a cross country trip where conditions/elevation varies?
I have 2019 TW200 and seems to run great here in Michigan (1000 feet above sea level), basically with stock carb and settings.
I tend to ascribe to the “ if it’s not broken don’t fix it” approach, but is that wise when on is contemplating something like the TAT?
Can I get by without having to change things on a trip like that?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Plenty of people are using the stock tune for that use. The only thing I'd recommend is a flex jet so that you can properly keep your idle and starts consistent. Not necessary but nice to have.

I commute at 200ft. So for me it made sense to richen it up a touch. Otherwise I would have left it alone

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
after you figure out the carb, don't forget to reinforce the sub frame, it doesn't have much of a chance of surviving on a trip like that, in it's stock forum

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What is the forum’s experience on carb settings for a cross country trip where conditions/elevation varies?
I have 2019 TW200 and seems to run great here in Michigan (1000 feet above sea level), basically with stock carb and settings.
I tend to ascribe to the “ if it’s not broken don’t fix it” approach, but is that wise when on is contemplating something like the TAT?
Can I get by without having to change things on a trip like that?
If you are getting along with stock carb settings from the factory like I did for a long time, you will not need to change anything

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
....Can I get by without having to change things on a trip like that?
You will be fine with some minor idle adjustment up to 7,000 feet. Above that it will still start and run, but may bog some at WOT in fifth. Above 9,000 you will lose a lot of power and may have to stay in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Above 12,000 you will be forced to change the main jet to 2 or 3 sizes smaller to have enough power to climb steep hills. I go to a 118 in Colorado at 8,000 and above.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ride mine on the beaches of the Pacific Coast...and at 10,000 ' in the Mountain West with stock settings and have had no problem.....however I am not riding for hours at highway speeds of 55 mph...….obviously there are bikes that are more suited for a cross country trip.....I have done it with 650 and 750 road bikes on blue roads.... but....what the hell...I admire your spirit of adventure...…

If I were you I would plan on eating in restaurants and staying in motels and traveling as light as possible to maintain the bikes very marginal highway performance .....and my very marginal body...….. including my very marginal butt....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ride mine on the beaches of the Pacific Coast...and at 10,000 ' in the Mountain West with stock settings and have had no problem.....however I am not riding for hours at highway speeds of 55 mph...….obviously there are bikes that are more suited for a cross country trip.....I have done it with 650 and 750 road bikes on blue roads.... but....what the hell...I admire your spirit of adventure...…

If I were you I would plan on eating in restaurants and staying in motels and traveling as light as possible to maintain the bikes very marginal highway performance .....and my very marginal body...….. including my very marginal butt....
That’s good to know
You have hit on the exact premise of the idea!
Travel light,hotels,TAT so not much highway.
Still in the dream/planning stage, but I suspect smaller and lighter might keep things in perspective...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You will be fine with stock jetting.. I had mine over 13,000' feet with stock jetting in Colorado on our first trip. About 9-10k I would get a little studder at high rpm and say 12 plus she wasn't real happy but still made it. 2nd trip I ran a 122 and it ran perfect from 8-14 thousand feet..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Stock, other than mixture screw adjustment, 2017 TW200 with ~500 miles on the clock (run-in not fully complete):

1. Up a 6% grade, even at ~5,000 feet, it will pull 50-55 (trying to not yet sustain WOT) MPH in 5th gear.

2. Up an 8% grade, at over 5,000 feet, it will only pull 45 MPH in 5th gear at ~90% throttle.

3. On the level, or even up a mild grade, at 3,000 to 4,000 feet, it will pull 65 MPH with some throttle left.

4. With a slight down grade, I saw 77 MPH on the speedo a few times, sitting up straight. If speedo is optimistic by 6%, that would be 73 MPH, true. Did not hold WOT more than a few seconds, each time. On Highway 95, returning to Las Vegas, a steady cruise at 65 MPH was comfortable (excluding seat)

5. Operated fine at elevations up to 8,600 feet (nothing higher in the area)

6. Working it, I cannot count on more than 62 MPG.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am considering another tat run on the tw. It will be a light load, emergency camping gear only. That would be the key on something as underpowered as this. Once you get out of Oklahoma you well spend most of your time over 5000 feet with a good bit of time above 10k and peaks in Colorado and Utah are 12-14k. I would strongly recommend you change gearing for the Colorado peaks to something you can pull all the way up in 2nd. Those shelf roads are no place to lose momentum. Other than that most of it is high flat desert out there so you can run something more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts