TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one of you kind souls clarify something for me?
On the TK carb
The main jet air inlet feels clogged to me.
i am using a guitar string to check the air inlets are clear.
the pilot airway is clear. the main jet air inlet feels clogged about one inch in.
Am I feeling a junction or is it an obstruction?
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A small gauge guitar string should go through. The detailed photos in this thread from jbfla might help.

·
Registered
20,627 Posts
There should be a junction between the main jet air inlet and the boring that holds the main jet itself. Whether or not the air inlet boring continues & daylights in a straight line that a guitar string could chase is something I have not pursued.
One could introduce high pressure air into the main jet holder and see if and where any air leaves various carb passageways. Block off any with your fingers and continue blowing to see if assumed blockage at the 1 inch location is displaced at all.
Report back on any revelations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be a junction between the main jet air inlet and the boring that holds the main jet itself. Whether or not the air inlet boring continues & daylights in a straight line that a guitar string could chase is something I have not pursued.
One could introduce high pressure air into the main jet holder and see if and where any air leaves various carb passageways. Block off any with your fingers and continue blowing to see if assumed blockage at the 1 inch location is displaced at all.
Report back on any revelations.
Thanks Fred,
I have a 13 gauge guitar string, the pilot air inlet is free and clear, the main air inlet there is resistance 3/4 of an inch from the opening, when I push the string through you can see it pop out where the main jet would be if not removed. I guess the air inlet has a blockage, done 2 overnight simple green soaks and have compressed air. I was worried the tip of the string is hitting a junction and not a blockage but it looks like the main air inlet is a straight shot to the main jet passage,

·
Registered
20,627 Posts
That is good to know, thanks for sharing.
Another older post dealt with a seemingly undiagnosable and incurable no run situation. At one point during the carb phase I believe the owner tried compressed air down those inlet passageways. I always wondered that if there had been any solid debris there blowing the wrong way might further lodge any particulates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I broke down and bought a brand new oem carb.
It will be good to have 2 anyway for troubleshooting.
I could have bought a chinese 30 dollar carb I suppose.
I abused this carb by letting it sit full of gas for too long.
Also decided to buy an ultrasonic cleaner, 60 bucks from harbor freight, more chinese crap but if it works on a few projects then it will be worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts