TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put a Brand new Carburetor on a 91 Tw-200, now the Boot is to short to make the connection to the air box. Im wondering if anyone has just put a external filter on the back of the Carb, Maybe it could work. Im tired of buying :very_drunk: over price parts.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Unfortunately this is a common problem with older bikes. Guys who convert their bikes to the "hollow mod" style routinely remove their airbox and install a pod type of filter. But I am not sure if one these will fit with the airbox still in place.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It's hard to get away from buying overpriced OEM parts. I have found Rocky Mountain MC parts to be less expensive then most.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I just used a piece of rubber tube and slid over the carb to filter tube. I had to trim the stock tube a little to do this. IMG_20161123_122703.jpg
I would try a radiator hose of the correct diameter next time. Some are curved which would fit easier and they are thinner than what I used and easier to work with.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken I like that Idea, I just might give it a try. I have 2 Tw's one 89 and one 91. The 89 has been a great bike, the 91 has me working on it all the time.
I have them both geared way down to where the top speed is 35 mph. I just license them for off road only these Days.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I used pipe clamps to snug the rubber hose up. My carb was never sealed, then I sealed it with the metal duct tape at one point. The rubber hose was my solution to making a permanent seal from the air box to the carb.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Be careful with a pod style filter. The airbox does act as part of the intake and is designed to provide "air pressure" in balance with the exhaust, valves and carb to provide proper airflow/fuel for the motor to run properly. I am sure you can rebalance the bike with jetting and exhaust tweaks, but it may make the bike run quite a bit differently.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I ran the tube from the stock air box to the carb. That is my carb with the hose on it. I agree about keeping the stock air box especially off road.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
besides losing the obvious advantages of the stock air filter set up ( water tight, good filtering, balance of air) be careful to NOT buy a cheap pod filter! when i was racing lawnmowers, i used cheap pod filters and the amount of dirt that went through the filter was unbelieveable, good way to damage the motor

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ken I like that clear hose, how did you make the connection to the boot or the air box?
Is it look like its going to work out good for the long haul?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I had to trim off a little of the stock tube before the carb so I could fit it in there. I slid it over the tube and then over the carb. I got this tube from Sears Hardware. Long term it will probably last forever. I think this was water tubing. I don't remember the exact size but it is around 2" or a little bigger. I had measured the OD of the carb tube for the correct size. Personally to do it again I think I would go to a junk yard and find an old radiator hose the correct size. The thinner rubber would be much easier to work with. It will have curves built in which would also be easier to fit. Scrub it out with soap and water with a bottle brush to clean it well. If you know the make, model, year of car for the radiator hose you could always get a new one. Cut in sections one would probably be all you ever need.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken that is awesome, I went a head and orders 2 Carb Boots from Boats. They cost me 55 bucks with shipping.
I have 2 Tws thats why got 2. Now I have a Float Needle sticking open, I will have open the Carb again to see whats going on with the brand new Carb today.
Im going to do a separate post on this, I bought 2 Brand new Pet Cocks on Ebay, they both look great but neither one of them will shut off completely. I guess one could say I got
what I paid for. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
139 Posts
What annoys me is that I thought the joints were high at 20 and change; I turn around and they are 60. I am scratching my head on this. I am also going to come up with something better here. Good to hear your solutions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally to do it again I think I would go to a junk yard and find an old radiator hose the correct size. The thinner rubber would be much easier to work with.
A little bit of heat from a heat gun or hair dryer often make hoses like this a lot easier to work with. You can also find a good selection of ID or OD in marine hoses if you wanted to refine the dimensions a bit.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Great idea Yiger, I forgot about the heat gun. That might have helped when I used my thick tubing. Mine is already in place now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts