TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m rebuilding my stock carb and I can’t remove the float pin. I’ve tried tapping it out with a small punch with no success. Im going to try and use a little penetration oil on it today. I didn’t think there was a proper direction that it came out or am I wrong? I just rebuilt a Honda Trail 90 carb the other day and the float pin came right out. Any useful techniques or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dirtjet

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
There should be some type of arrow indicating the direction that the pin goes. I have seen this information posted on this forum and will try to provide a link unless someone else finds it first. Please be patient, as these posts are easy to break off.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Photo credit jbfla from his carb part ID write-up. I use a large enough pliers slow and careful. Haven’t broken one yet in 7 tries. I can’t really make out the arrow on this photo, but I believe with the orientation of this photo it comes out the bottom side. Wait for someone to confirm that if you can’t see the arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is no arrow in that picture that depicts which way the pin is removed. The arrows only indicate what you're looking at. i.e. Float, float post, etc. I too ran into that problem. Like a bone head, I just kept tapping and tapping 'till I got it all the way out, THE WRONG WAY. When I figured things out, I realized it should have come out the other way. You can tell right quick if you're tapping it in the wrong direction. It remains hard to move, even when it's left one or the other post. If you're doing it correctly, as soon as it leaves its first post, the pin will basically just pull out.
Scott

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
There should be an arrow on the top of one post. The photos I posted on the pin removal were lost to Photobucket.
The pin goes out to the right as looking at it.
I used a pair of Channel Lock pliers to push the pin out.
Will try to locate a photo.

jb

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Found one photo. In this view the pin goes out to the right.

Once the pin is flush with the post, widen the channel lock pliers and use a finish nail to push the pin the rest of the way out.

I also used a tiny drill bit to drill out the holes in the posts, so the pin slides in easily.

As Peterb mentioned: Putting the pin in an electric drill and spinning it in a piece of emery cloth might be easier.

The shape of the carb bowl will hold the pin in place.

Found one more:

jb

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Looks like I found copies of most of the lost photos.
Will post them again to Tech Write-Ups when I return home to FL at the end of the month.

jb

·
Super Moderator
18,126 Posts
These photos are invaluable and the best Carb photos on the Forum. I'm so glad you've got them again! :applouse:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I’m rebuilding my stock carb and I can’t remove the float pin. I’ve tried tapping it out with a small punch with no success. Im going to try and use a little penetration oil on it today. I didn’t think there was a proper direction that it came out or am I wrong? I just rebuilt a Honda Trail 90 carb the other day and the float pin came right out. Any useful techniques or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dirtjet
Good to see that jbfla came along with his great photos and tutorial. Those pictures are of the new style carb 2001- present but the same applies to the old style carbs 1987-2000.
We who have been here for a while have seen so very many carbs with broken float pin posts from pushing too hard or in the wrong direction. For those who have carbs with broken pin posts we have also found that all is not lost. The post can be repaired with JB Weld epoxy and we have seen this done numerous times with excellent results. There really is no good reason why the pins should be in there so tight. Once the float bowl is put on the carb the pin can't slide out in either direction. I have a very tiny jewelers rat tail file and give each pin post a few strokes to open them a bit and the pin then slides in and out quite easily.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,126 Posts
Lest it slip my mind again, and wanting to give credit where it is due, TW-Brian's pictures are also among the best on the forum. :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good info. On many carbs I've had apart the float pin wants to slide out on its own, dropping the pin, float, etc. onto the floor. Something I've learned to be ready for. Haven't needed to crack open the TW carb in the four or five years I've had it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help. I finally got it out with additional pressure. I guess an easy way to remember the direction for removal is it’s the same as pulling the choke lever. I love this forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If only I’d read this before snapping a lug on the float pin today :cry:

Going to strip it all down and dunk it into a heated ultrasonic cleaner.
I’ve ordered some JB Steelstick to effect a repair, may do some tiny drilling to help it bond.
Currently allowing the screws on the plastic diaphragm cover to soak in penetrating fluid as I think they’ve corroded on, and I don’t want to do more damage....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Good luck with your repair. When you get that screw and the float bowl screws out, replace them with hex caps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts