TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where to get the small o-ring that goes over the thin brass tube and down in the recess below it on the carb body. The float bowl tube fits over that brass tube and seals on the o-ring. Cannot find one fat enough in town. Diameter is right but none thick enough. I can send good pictures if you send an email address to me. I know the description is not very clear.

I also need a float bowl gasket. Found it on a web site for $8.20 but they want $8.oo to ship the envelope. The dealership wants about $18.oo for it. They were not able to identify the o-ring I need. They thought maybe it would be attached to the bowl gasket, but had to order it to find out. Anyone know if that is true?

If anyone has a spare o-ring to sell me I would be appreciative. Or if anyone knows the dimensions of the o-ring. Thanks.

Trying to get my '87 TW on the road. Sat for over 10 years before I got it.

john

·
Registered
264 Posts
John, I had a hard time as well finding that o-ring for mine. Mine was cracked and the previous owner had put a gasket sealer over it. As far as I know, Yamaha doesn't show it available. It does seem to be slightly larger in diameter than what I was able to find locally. I ended up picking up a Viton (better gas resistance) o-ring mixed pack at my local auto parts store. One of them was a little thinner but was close enough for me to give it a try. So far so good. Good luck with yours.

By the way, the oring was not included with the bowl gasket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, I had a hard time as well finding that o-ring for mine. Mine was cracked and the previous owner had put a gasket sealer over it. As far as I know, Yamaha doesn't show it available. It does seem to be slightly larger in diameter than what I was able to find locally. I ended up picking up a Viton (better gas resistance) o-ring mixed pack at my local auto parts store. One of them was a little thinner but was close enough for me to give it a try. So far so good. Good luck with yours.

By the way, the oring was not included with the bowl gasket.

Thanks, Leben. Good to know I am not crazy, grossly incompetent, or lacking resourcefulness. (just anxious to take the first ride)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re-posting in hopes new blood sees this request. someone with the forsight to procure multiples of this obscure o-ring. thanks in advance. john

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Partzilla only charges $1.75 shipping on orders under $10 and the float bowl gasket for an early carb is $8.20 if you haven't already got one. I just ordered one myself.

Almost any o-ring is available if you know the cross section size (thickness of the ring) and the I.D. You probably can get both of those dimensions from the groove in the needle valve using some calipers if the o-ring is missing.I have mine out right now but don't want to disturb the o-ring so I can't get you a measurement. If you have the o-ring you can measure that. The o-ring store is pretty good place to buy, as is McMaster Carr...and there are lots of other places when googled. Buna-N or Viton are both ok with gasoline.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
If I get a chance I will head to Ace Seal today and see what I can find in small o-rings.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap a$$ carb rebuild kit off ebay. For the the float bowl gasket they used an o-ring. With sticky yellow gasket sealer I was able to get the o-ring to stick in the groove and it has worked well -- so far. If anyone has one of those o-rings PLEASE carefully measure the dimensions and send them to me. A local company, Ace Seal (Aceseal.com), sells o-rings of all sizes really cheap.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I found some o-rings that I think will work. PM me you address and I will mail you a couple.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tony, Got the o-rings today! The smaller chubby ones are the correct size. Thanks!

(Tony sent me 2 valve cover o-rings to boot! Gratis! Stating..."Us '87 TW owners have to stick together".)

arizonabusmocamper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts