TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I picked up a TW200 last fall. I didnt get a ton of time here in Michigan before winter hit. My friend also picked one up and I store it at my place.. we had a break in the winter here with 50 degree days. So I started the bikes. Both started right up and i took mine for a ride.

However my buddies is pissing gas as soon as i turn on the pecock. I have this picture on my cell phone.

I am almost positive its a 1991 so I am not sure which carb it has.

My question is is this a stuck float?

Ironically I kicked it 3 times and it started up. I didnt let it idle too long as I noticed the leak. With the bike off, if I turn on the pecock this happens right away.

The small red arrow is the stream of gas!!

I can get a different picture if needed, just let me know.

Is this looking like a simple drop bowl and clean or maybe a more serious rebuild? I am hoping to get an answer or at least headed in the right direction before breaking the news to him as he has not road this bike but once last fall before we stored them.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
+1 for stuck float and/or dirty needle valve.

From the parts diagram, the gas is coming from the bowl overflow tube.

That means the bowl is filling completely, then overflowing.

The needle valve is being held open, by dirt/crud/gum or a stuck float (float is not moving on the float pin), or the float may be damaged. If the float gets a hole in it, it will fill with gas, and not close the needle valve.

If a sharp rap on the side of the carb doesn't unstick the float, the minimum you will need to do is to remove the carb bowl.

The carb bowl screws will strip easily without the proper driver (they are JIS phillips head), plan on replacing them with hex head screws.

jb

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
This is one of those situations where you can either do the job right the first time or be aggravated for months because you were too lazy to do the job right the first time. Go ahead and pull the carb off the bike, remove all rubber parts, and give it a good dousing with carb cleaner. 99% of the time no actual hard parts are needed--either the float is stuck from varnish build-up, or the needle has trash in it, usually a chunk of varnish broken loose from the petcock bowl. Might as well remove the petcock and give it a good cleaning, too. Replace any rubber parts that are ripped, frayed, or hardened into some odd shape. Carry the old rubber parts to an industrial seal supply and have them match up the original Viton parts with Buna-N parts, which are almost impervious to ethanol. Might as well richen the main jet if you have a U. S. of A. or Canadian to improve throttle response while you are in the carb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts