TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 TW200 and am at my wits end with the carb.I've installed a new needle and seat and played with the float height but it continually leaks from the overflow. Tonite I checked the float height and it was just under 26mm from the carb body to the top of the float while holding it upside down.I adjusted it to approx. 27mm. and it leaked.Then I tried 28...it leaked.I set it at 29 and it still leaks.What am I doing wrong here? The bike starts and seems to run fine but if I don't shut the fuel valve off I'll dump the tank on the ground.

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
Good advice for others elime, but Oleschool states he has installed a new needle valve and seat which normally comes with a new o-ring and should have good seals. Worth inspecting the new parts though.

If the carb is off the bike it is easy to test a few items. With floats raised manually the new needle valve should be closed and stop any effort to blow air or flow liquid through the fuel inlet and into the bowl. If it passes this test one can move on to other possible sources. At the same time I would carefully inspect that the needle is correctly clipped to the float. I would also ensure that the carb drain screw is properly closing the access to the overflow tube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice for others elime, but Oleschool states he has installed a new needle valve and seat which normally comes with a new o-ring and should have good seals. Worth inspecting the new parts though.

If the carb is off the bike it is easy to test a few items. With floats raised manually the new needle valve should be closed and stop any effort to blow air or flow liquid through the fuel inlet and into the bowl. If it passes this test one can move on to other possible sources. At the same time I would carefully inspect that the needle is correctly clipped to the float. I would also ensure that the carb drain screw is properly closing the access to the overflow tube.
I raised the float to 31mm above the base of the carb and it seems to be holding. The fuel level is about 5-6mm below the base of the carb when checking through the drain hose.

Hopefully this will be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1987 TW 200 and mine is leaking fuel from overflow. Do I need to replace whole carb? Can I adjust the valve? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I have a 1987 TW 200 and mine is leaking fuel from overflow. Do I need to replace whole carb? Can I adjust the valve? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks
Someone will be along soon. It's early yet. Please try to contain the request for help to one thread so it doesn't get convoluted.

Reactions: SportsterDoc

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Your floats may also be bad, having fuel inside them so they don't push up with enough force to close the needle against the seat. The fuel level for that 2000 carb is supposed to be 7.5-8.5mm below the top edge of the carb bowl and the float height at 26-28mm above the top edge of the bowl. It may work for a while by setting the floats higher, but as time goes on it may leak again. Replace the floats too, they are inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts