TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

my beloved thumper has been giving me spluttering and popping noise for a little while and I'd like to experiment with adjusting the carb.

she's a 1998 model (all original) and so i'd like to know where i can find the screw that adjusts the mixture. i believe she's running a little lean right now and so needs a little bit more gas.

any help gratefully received.

if you'd like an image of the carb, I can easily post one...

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
There might be a little cap or cover you have to drill or pry out. Take a short screw driver and open it about a turn and see how it runs. You might have to go two turn or so. Play around with it. It made a huge difference on my '87.

Just for fun, what kind of symptoms are you having?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony.

The symptoms are lots of popping and backfire from the exhaust as you slow down plus when the engine is warm and the choke

is pressed in the engine sometimes cuts out when idling.

It's very annoying and a simple adjust of the fuel mixture will definitely cure this.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Thanks Tony.

The symptoms are lots of popping and backfire from the exhaust as you slow down plus when the engine is warm and the choke

is pressed in the engine sometimes cuts out when idling.

It's very annoying and a simple adjust of the fuel mixture will definitely cure this.

If the bike has given years of service without these problems, and you haven't recently changed fuels, it is likely that even if an adjustment does solve the problem, the sollution will only be temporary. It sounds as if their is a bit of gunk in the pilot jet, or a vacuum leak is developing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts