TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Carb Problem

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2001 TW 200 from a friend. it has 155 miles on it and looks like new, only covered in dust from sitting.
It was last running about 3 years ago. Put new fuel in and got it started but it ran kind of rough. Pulled carb, cleaned jets,
and needle/seat. removed venture needle and cleaned. When I put it back together, it started and ran better, but when it idles
down it floods and dies. Tried adjusting mixture, but has no effect. When I try to restart it it just chugs and won't take fuel (flooding).
If it sits for about thirty minutes, it will crank up and run if you keep it revved up, but will flood and die if you let off the gas.
I didn't mess with the float setting...it seems to be right. I wonder if I didn't put something back correctly related to the vacuum diafram?
It seems maybe it's not getting enough air? Anybody have ideas?

Thanks,

#2 ·
I'm not the one to answer this, but it sounds like the float is sticking, not shutting off fuel/overfilling the float bowl. Others on here will give better help. Best of luck, you'll get it.

#3 ·
Take a look at the air filter

These bikes have a rather "frugal" carb - and as such, its often the first thing to go for

But as its been standing for a while, consider the air filter as part of the carburetor - check it first, as it's easier to get at and simpler to fix. If you need any help with the air filter just shout and we'll talk you through it ...........

#7 ·
The air filter should be foam, with enough oil on it to make it sticky, without being able to "squeeze" any out - which means grab hold of the sucker, soak it in something like S.A.E.30 - then wring it out till it hasn't got anything left to give - then shove it back in there

The resulting mess will then be "sticky" enough to filter out finer particles, but more importantly, provide just enough resistance to air flow to allow your carb to work correctly.

An old neglected filter is likely to have gummed up, causing the carb to flood, particularly at idle

How you get thing in and out is up to you, your sense of determination, and the state the bike is in ........

#8 ·
" I had to loosen all of the bolts on the box and push it down in the frame to get the filter out. Is that the best way to do it?" -huh? If your 2001 TW is stock then simply remove two securing screws and pull off left side plastic, then remove 4 screws holding air filter box cover on. Remove this cover now and filter and it's plastic "cage" should pop out with the cover without any clearance issues.
If you or others don't already have it there is a downloadable manual, it really helps explain a lot of maintain ace and repair issues.. Can someone find the link and post it for Maulepilot and others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.