TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only does this in morning/overnight. not a huge amount of gas, but enough that it reaches the ground. Doesn't do it any other time, just overnight. Shoukd I shut fuel off at night? I didn't do it last night or night before.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
...Should I shut fuel off at night?...
Yes. You should turn off the petcock after riding on any gravity fed motorcycle fuel system. Pressure from the weight of the fuel or expanding fuel fumes may cause gas to leak past the carb float valve.

jb

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JB. My Honda Shadow doesn't do this and neither did my Kawa GPz550.. So it's a new one for me.

Thanks for the very quick reply though !!!

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like your float is stuck.Drop the bowl, clean and remove potential debris, the reassemble. Should fix your problem. If your float height is incorrect, you can fix that too while you are at it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
+1 on Seafoam.

I should have added that it would be a good idea to track down where the leak is coming from. Leaking float bowl gasket? Carb bowl drain screw?

A dry paper towel is helpful in finding the leak. Use it to clean around the carb. See if there are any places that leave a wet spot on the paper towel.

You didn't say what year TW you have, or if the carb has been taken apart before. For example, after cleaning my TW's carb, I inadvertently installed the float bowl gasket upside down. The bike ran fine, just leaked gas all over. :-(

jb

·
Registered
24 Posts
only does this in morning/overnight. not a huge amount of gas, but enough that it reaches the ground. Doesn't do it any other time, just overnight. Shoukd I shut fuel off at night? I didn't do it last night or night before.

As already stated yes turn the fuel off. Also check that the carb vent hose isn't stopped up. That happened to mine not long ago and it flooded the airbox and crankcase with gas

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like it is coming out of #38 HERE, but I don't have a hose coming down. No signs of seepage from the gasket area - ie: no gunk buildup or discoloration around that area.

It's been in the off position all day and the temps have been up around 97* most of day and cooled back down to high 70s. I'll check in morning, but I'm sure it's because I left it "On".

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Looks like it is coming out of #38 HERE, but I don't have a hose coming down....
Mike, That part #38 is the hose from the float bowl drain. There is a small screw (part #29) on the side of the carb bowl that opens and closes that port. That's where you would drain the gas out of the bowl when putting the bike in storage, or drain water that may accumulate in the bowl.

On a '91 TW it is likely that the needle end of the screw is corroded/worn. If it's only a slight drip, I don't know if it's worth replacing. That screw on my '05 was very tight, and I nearly stripped the head while unscrewing it, and had to replace it.

jb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts