TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '87 TW that I bought new in '88. My first bike. Glad I kept it. It fell into disrepair when my both my wife and dad had cancer. I've been a member for about a year, looking thru old posts for info on carb cleaning and tuning tips. Lot of good stuff, and many talented people who are generous with their knowledge. The carb was dirty and gummed up from old gas so I purchased a rebuild kit from Keyster and did a careful cleaning. Also had to get a new CDI.
The bike now runs well, but has a starting problem. It will cold start on choke, run for a few seconds and then quit. This repeats about 4 or 5 times before it stays running. Until it warms up for a few more minutes it has poor throttle response, but once it is at operating temp it runs very well. I never had this issue prior to the long storage. I'm not sure if this would be a choke issue, float level problem, or a pilot jet problem. Any thoughts? Also installed new filter, gas line, air filter, and petcock.
FYI on a couple of topics that I've seen come up in the Tech forum. My TW wouldn't hardly fire after I took it out of storage. I read about the aftermarket CDI from Waterloo specialties in the Tech Forum so I purchased one. It works great and it seems to be well thought out and quality built. I will update if anything changes.
Also, the carb kit I purchased was, in my opinion, a good deal. I carefully inspected the parts and they seemed at least the equal of the OEM items. The kit was from Keyster and said "Japan" on the packaging. My thought was that the Japanese would be a bit more conscious about quality, although that doesn't rule out the possibility that they outsourced it from China or elsewhere.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have an '87 TW that I bought new in '88. My first bike. Glad I kept it. It fell into disrepair when my both my wife and dad had cancer. I've been a member for about a year, looking thru old posts for info on carb cleaning and tuning tips. Lot of good stuff, and many talented people who are generous with their knowledge. The carb was dirty and gummed up from old gas so I purchased a rebuild kit from Keyster and did a careful cleaning. Also had to get a new CDI.
The bike now runs well, but has a starting problem. It will cold start on choke, run for a few seconds and then quit. This repeats about 4 or 5 times before it stays running. Until it warms up for a few more minutes it has poor throttle response, but once it is at operating temp it runs very well. I never had this issue prior to the long storage. I'm not sure if this would be a choke issue, float level problem, or a pilot jet problem. Any thoughts? Also installed new filter, gas line, air filter, and petcock.
FYI on a couple of topics that I've seen come up in the Tech forum. My TW wouldn't hardly fire after I took it out of storage. I read about the aftermarket CDI from Waterloo specialties in the Tech Forum so I purchased one. It works great and it seems to be well thought out and quality built. I will update if anything changes.
Also, the carb kit I purchased was, in my opinion, a good deal. I carefully inspected the parts and they seemed at least the equal of the OEM items. The kit was from Keyster and said "Japan" on the packaging. My thought was that the Japanese would be a bit more conscious about quality, although that doesn't rule out the possibility that they outsourced it from China or elsewhere.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. Greatly appreciated.

I got some great advice here.

-Sam

·
Registered
105 Posts

-Sam

-Sam
Hey rjcurtin,
I've got a 1987 too! I didn't buy it new though.
Mine is hard to start in the cold too. It because it's running lean. You need to find the mixture screw and unscrew it as much as you can without it falling out, or try a larger pilot jet or raise your jet needle with shims, or do the research and find a jet needle that has grooves and a c-clip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Glowspud and RedRider. I kind of fell off the map for a couple of weeks with the flu and haven't been in the garage or on the computer much. I have some ideas again to start troubleshooting. I'm looking forward to riding soon...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts