TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 TW200 had been "modified" when I bought it, but done very poorly. The air box was butchered to fit a K&N filter on and the poor job led to the intake (rubber from carb to head) being torn. I am returning everything to stock and have a couple of questions about the carb. The one that was on the bike had a few issues. First, it needed rebuilt.....the main needle (the big one in the center of the carb) had a ridge so it needed replace. That wasn't too bad, but when I checked on how much the idle adjustment cable was I about fell over. $59! Anyway, I looked on ebay and found a good carb off an '02 TW200 for $80 and scooped it up. It arrived today and everything looks exactly the same except the numbers on the side of the carb. My original carb has the number 5FY1 10 1A20 stamped on the side with the choke button. The carb I just got has the number 5FY1 10 1F30.

Does this difference in numbers mean anything significant? I'm guessing the last 4 numbers are a date stamp, but maybe someone on here would know for sure.

I opened it up to check the jetting and it had a 126. Since my TW has been rebuilt with a TTR225 head, piston and cam I figured I'd go with a 130 to give it a little more fuel than stock. Does that sound like a likely assumption?

Finally, on the carb there is a black hose nipple on the same side as the choke button an inch back from the choke, just above the fuel line inlet. On my bike when I bought it there was nothing attached to this, which I thought was crazy so I capped it. It didn't seem to affect anything with the way it ran but it didn't seem right to have an open port. Anyway, on the new carb there is a 1 foot length of hose connected to this nipple and it looks like it is supposed to connect to something. Does anyone know where that hose goes to? I appreciate all the assistance. I love this bike, and I'm sure it will be even better once I get it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't seen the nipple on the carb you described but I would guess it is a California model carb with the line running to the evaporative emission canister. If so, your cap should be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I understand your description correctly I think that is the vent. A dirt dobber stopped mine up and the carb overflowed so I'm thinking there might be a problem with capping it...but confirm this as my mechanic actually told me this and I don't have first hand info. Some of you guys here ought to know for sure...

[quote name='adavis' date='06 August 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1281128892' post='1190']

My '06 TW200 had been "modified" when I bought it, but done very poorly. The air box was butchered to fit a K&N filter on and the poor job led to the intake (rubber from carb to head) being torn. I am returning everything to stock and have a couple of questions about the carb. The one that was on the bike had a few issues. First, it needed rebuilt.....the main needle (the big one in the center of the carb) had a ridge so it needed replace. That wasn't too bad, but when I checked on how much the idle adjustment cable was I about fell over. $59! Anyway, I looked on ebay and found a good carb off an '02 TW200 for $80 and scooped it up. It arrived today and everything looks exactly the same except the numbers on the side of the carb. My original carb has the number 5FY1 10 1A20 stamped on the side with the choke button. The carb I just got has the number 5FY1 10 1F30.

Does this difference in numbers mean anything significant? I'm guessing the last 4 numbers are a date stamp, but maybe someone on here would know for sure.

I opened it up to check the jetting and it had a 126. Since my TW has been rebuilt with a TTR225 head, piston and cam I figured I'd go with a 130 to give it a little more fuel than stock. Does that sound like a likely assumption?

Finally, on the carb there is a black hose nipple on the same side as the choke button an inch back from the choke, just above the fuel line inlet. On my bike when I bought it there was nothing attached to this, which I thought was crazy so I capped it. It didn't seem to affect anything with the way it ran but it didn't seem right to have an open port. Anyway, on the new carb there is a 1 foot length of hose connected to this nipple and it looks like it is supposed to connect to something. Does anyone know where that hose goes to? I appreciate all the assistance. I love this bike, and I'm sure it will be even better once I get it fixed correctly.

If I understand your description correctly I think that is the vent. A dirt dobber stopped mine up and the carb overflowed so I'm thinking there might be a problem with capping it...but confirm this as my mechanic actually told me this and I don't have first hand info. Some of you guys here ought to know for sure...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is the hose I'm talking about. I don't think my bike is a california model, but the one that the I got of ebay WAS a california model. They both have the nipple, but on my bike there wasn't anything attached. The one I got off ebay has a hose so now I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
676 Posts

This is the hose I'm talking about. I don't think my bike is a california model, but the one that the I got of ebay WAS a california model. They both have the nipple, but on my bike there wasn't anything attached. The one I got off ebay has a hose so now I'm not sure what to do.
It goes behind the motor through a round bracket with the float drain hose.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
5FY1 10 1F30 is in fact a Cali carb. Coincidently I happened to have one in my hot little hands at this very moment for another thread.

Main jet should be a 128, which looked like 126 to me at first, too.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
5FY1 10 1F30 is in fact a Cali carb. Coincidently I happened to have one in my hot little hands at this very moment for another thread.

Main jet should be a 128, which looked like 126 to me at first, too.

Good info, lizrdbrth. Correct on both the vent hose (a cheap piece of vacuum line will work if it is missing), and on the 128 main being standard in the California carb. You might want to try the #128 jet first. Put a single washer under the needle, and open the pilot screw about 2.5 turns. This would be a good place to start with carb tuning. The only way to know if it is the best tune for your bike is to try it.

Do I need to write another post on the proper procedure for tuning carbs or is my previous how-to on a wiki or the old forum. Carb tuning isn't magic, it just takes persistence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts