TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the nasty effects of 9 + years of sitting with ethanol gas are proving to be a challenge. After two 30 minute baths in my ultra sonic cleaner with my cocktail of hot water, WD-40, Dawn detergent, and a pine sol type concentrate....things were clean enough to actually start moving. The carb slide was still stuck so bad I had to use a pry bar to move it far enough to get the pin and clip off or even move the linkage. Another (3rd) 30 minute soak and it all came apart really well.
Blew it all out with compressed air but the final, worst point of cloggage seems to be the main fuel line inlet to float needle channel. Can get no fluid or air through it. May try to use heat, a tiny wire drill, the Force. Any hints will be helpful.

Attachments

· Registered
1,815 Posts
I did that once on a black widow that sat for 7 years. My biggest problem was the choke (enricher) slide wouldn’t budge and finally broke off inside the carb body after hours of trying to get it loose. Now I go straight to the Chinese knockoffs. Over the winter I clean the old carbs and see if they might be viable as-is or for parts or garbage. But for $40 I’m riding again within 2 days via Amazon or eBay.

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I did that once on a black widow that sat for 7 years. My biggest problem was the choke (enricher) slide wouldn’t budge and finally broke off inside the carb body after hours of trying to get it loose. Now I go straight to the Chinese knockoffs. Over the winter I clean the old carbs and see if they might be viable as-is or for parts or garbage. But for $40 I’m riding again within 2 days via Amazon or eBay.
I keep such a carb in my box of parts I take when riding out of town. It's cheap insurance from a potentially wasted trip.

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Success!! I took some multi strand 14GA copper wire, chucked it up in the drill, and ran/twisted it in and out a few times at speed. Got a lot of stinky crud out, then hit it with full pressure nozzle tip of compressor and it took a few seconds, but blew out the chunks! Followed with carb cleaner and it is smooth now. I appreciate the suggestions of just getting a Cheap knock off, but I like to try to accomplish the fix like if Ebay did not exist, ala Post Apocalypse/Gilligan's Island style.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts