TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rebuilt TK ‘09 carb installed in’13 used replacement engine took all weekend to get to turn it over started first try but I mis-installed the return spring so I pulled the carb measured the float bowl and realized I did not get a replacement rubber plug for inside next to main jet and the plug for the the one on the outside for the pilot screw. Are they needed? I know that is a loaded ? they put them there for a reason. Do I need the in place for final tuning?
https://marksmiller.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-xWM4J4m

Got the return spring in correct place. Lesson learned don’t remove the cam actuator where the throttle cables attach. Was easier for me to remove the carb to get the spring correct I had forgot to measure the float height anyways. Took a couple of pics showing return spring in correct position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pilot screw plug #32 is certainly not needed. It is actually a metal anti tamper plug that we all remove anyway. The other plug you refer to is #21 and I do not have a definitive answer. I worked on a Bing or a westerbeke carb a few months ago and it had very similar rubber plug and it was needed for sure based on some research. it was solid though and this one looks to possibly have a hollow middle. Have you figured out anything more ??

P.S. can everyone guys see these pictures the way i am doing it ??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pilot screw plug #32 is certainly not needed. It is actually a metal anti tamper plug that we all remove anyway. The other plug you refer to is #21 and I do not have a definitive answer. I worked on a Bing or a westerbeke carb a few months ago and it had very similar rubber plug and it was needed for sure based on some research. it was solid though and this one looks to possibly have a hollow middle. Have you figured out anything more ??

P.S. can everyone guys see these pictures the way i am doing it ??

Yes I can see the pictures Thank you! i have been taken screen shots of parts diagrams after figuring out the pdf manual is was using is wrong. Didn’t figure out anything going to order the plugs end of the week. That way if the carb gives me trouble the #21 won’t be in question. Bike starts runs, won’t idle but I have yet to start to tune. The pro cycle jet kit I bought has crazy #’s. Went with their recommendation of #125 main jet and #34 pilot jet. It started first try. Thing is I was trying to move away from stock to more rich heard it makes the bike run cooler. The pro cycle (moose racing) kit doesn’t match the same #’s from my research on here. So I’m not sure if I’m still in a lean setup. It’ll all work out in time. Thanks for your help

Bike tonight after fixing throttle and installing exhaust. Only raining it for a few seconds

http://marksmiller.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-35pcgV3

·
Registered
457 Posts
That #21 plug may just be necessary to make it draw fuel through the idle circuit rather than air from the top of the bowl above the fuel level. I am almost positive that on that westerbeke generator carb I done a while back that, that was the case after researching it.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The internal rubber plug (#21) is necessary for the bike to run properly.

jb
Thank you jbfla! That will save me time, frustration and four letter words. Well get it ordered so I can fine tune it. Got it completely together tonight and took it for a test ride. Adjusting Idle screw took care of not idling. Runs and stays running but lacking crispness and back fires a little when let of the throttle. Not going to mess with it until I get the #21. All in all I’m happy this is my first carb rebuild that worked thankful for giving it a try. Going to ride it to work tomorrow it’s only 3 miles but the bike makes the ride fun and cheap. Going to email pro cycle to see if there recommend jets are wetter then stock or the same lean state. So I might be changing jets again. Thank for all the

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I'm just struggling with getting my 2003 TW125 running right. Have a WOT rich bog..
Nothing I've done to air fuel screw, needle height or main jet size have touched it. Telling me I'm just missing something all together..
I found this thread, but can't find the exploded diagram you are referring to with numbers.. and maybe the pictures attached were just regarding the return spring?? But are you saying there shod be a rubber bung in this hole circled on my picture?
I doubt it, looks to be needed as part of cboke?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I'm just struggling with getting my 2003 TW125 running right. Have a WOT rich bog..
Nothing I've done to air fuel screw, needle height or main jet size have touched it. Telling me I'm just missing something all together..
I found this thread, but can't find the exploded diagram you are referring to with numbers.. and maybe the pictures attached were just regarding the return spring?? But are you saying there shod be a rubber bung in this hole circled on my picture?
I doubt it, looks to be needed as part of cboke?
Just took the float bowl off and Gus's it's this rubber bung, which I have ok..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just took the float bowl off and Gus's it's this rubber bung, which I have ok..
Yes, Thanks the correct rubber plug necessary for the carb to run properly.

jb

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Gee, I have three late model TW carbs & don't think any have this rubber plug.
bottom view.jpg

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That’s right Fred. I wouldn’t want to attempt to explain why. Because I can’t. But it’s “normal”.

EDIT - The older style carbs (pre-2001) do not have plugs.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Missing plugs are normal? Or it it is normal for carbs not to run properly without the plugs?
How do they run improperly then?
I read and understood post #4 however do not believe I am suffering any symptoms described for the generator's carb. :cool:
Will check this out next time curiosity get the better of me.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yes I can see the pictures Thank you! i have been taken screen shots of parts diagrams after figuring out the pdf manual is was using is wrong. Didn’t figure out anything going to order the plugs end of the week. That way if the carb gives me trouble the #21 won’t be in question. Bike starts runs, won’t idle but I have yet to start to tune. The pro cycle jet kit I bought has crazy #’s. Went with their recommendation of #125 main jet and #34 pilot jet. It started first try. Thing is I was trying to move away from stock to more rich heard it makes the bike run cooler. The pro cycle (moose racing) kit doesn’t match the same #’s from my research on here. So I’m not sure if I’m still in a lean setup. It’ll all work out in time. Thanks for your help

Bike tonight after fixing throttle and installing exhaust. Only raining it for a few seconds

SmugShots - MarkSMiller

the #125 out of the kit is the same size as the yamaha 128, so yours will be richer

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Missing plugs are normal? Or it it is normal for carbs not to run properly without the plugs?
How do they run improperly then?
I read and understood post #4 however do not believe I am suffering any symptoms described for the generator's carb. :cool:
Will check this out next time curiosity get the better of me.
My bad Fred. I thought you were talking about the older style carbs (pre-2001). They do not have the plugs.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I remember reading a post from jbfla that one of his bikes was not running properly and when he opened up the carb the plug was missing. He replaced the plug and his bike returned to normal operation.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Maybe this is the excuse to order some parts or at least investigate...or use some silicone Form-a-gasket and make my own plugs if missing. However my spare 3rd loaner carb came back from Moab 2019 loose in a box its main jet holder is missing so it and some jets might be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
........ or at least investigate...or use some silicone Form-a-gasket and make my own plugs if missing......
I'm curious too, Fred.

Just drop the float bowl, and use a mirror to see if the plug is there......easy... ;)

It's been several years, and my memory is not as good as it once was.

As I recall, without the plug the engine would not hold a steady idle, and revved and idled back down irregularly.

If your 3 carbs don't have the rubber plugs, and run perfectly, I will defer to your expertise.

It would be appreciated if you gave me credit when you use my photos. :)

jb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts