TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 1990 TW was running to rich . I took it to my local Yame shop. I was told one of the float towers were broken so they are replaceing the carb. Has anyone elese had this happen ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks already found them . This forum is perfect ! I have other hobbies , and belong to other forums and they are either to difficult to get around or to snobbie to newbies,

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My new to me 1990 TW was running to rich . I took it to my local Yame shop. I was told one of the float towers were broken so they are replaceing the carb. Has anyone elese had this happen ?

I'm surprised it was running at all.

The float posts are easily broken... Even by a halfway competent mechanic. Just yesterday I watched my pal Dan, who runs a small engine repair shop, break one off.

For future reference, you can purchase a new carb from an online OEM parts vendor cheaper than from a Yamaha dealer.

Jb

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks already found them . This forum is perfect ! I have other hobbies , and belong to other forums and they are either to difficult to get around or to snobbie to newbies,

I've said the same thing myself! This forum has great members! There is a wealth of knowledge here on anything and everything from bone stock to the most radical modifications and the builders/riders share their knowledge quite freely!

Welcome to your newest obsession and to the forum!

z

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jb

Thanks for the heads up on earlier bikes having slightly

different carb / parts .

The guy who sold me the bike said make sure you always turn the petcock off because gas drips out of the carb. I thought it would be a less costly fix . He probably broke the post while resurrecting the bike , it sat for 11 years.

It started fine but then a few times acted different and would not start without being pushed down a hill.

All and all I am still very happy with the deal . I'll have a great 90 TW 1,600 miles in like new shape for 1,800 invested counting the 47t sprocket ,new mirrors and handle bars I put on .

·
Registered
572 Posts
I wonder if those can be drilled from the top, drive a small pin down to just below the float pin, and maybe use a little JB Weld to boot.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I wonder if those can be drilled from the top, drive a small pin down to just below the float pin, and maybe use a little JB Weld to boot.
Yes, that's exactly the way Dan the engine guy fixed the one he broke. However, you need the broken off piece. If you purchase a bike with the broken pieces missing, it's much more difficult.

Jb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I pick my bike up from the shop, I'll ask for the old carb and if the piece was found, If I remember correctly the guy at the shop said one tower was cracked.

So hopefully the piece is still available to experiment with and try to fix. The forum comes thru again, wouldn't have thought of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts