TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got the gas tank all cleaned out and relatively rust free now. New fuel line, new fuel filter. Cleaned out the carb and installed some new o-rings. Still has the same problem as it did when I brought it home, it will start right up and run fine when cold. Sometimes it acts like it runs lean (rpm's take off on their own) and sometimes it wants to run rich (when returning to idle it just dies unless you twist the throttle a little bit). I've double checked the cables. The slide isn't hanging up. I do seem to have a different carburetor then what may have come with the bike. I have another hookup next to my fuel line inlet that when you open the slide a little bit you can blow air in but if you close the slide it blocks it off. It would seem like it's for a fuel pump setup or something. Is there an aftermarket replacement carb. for this bike or another carb. from a similar sized yamaha engine that may work? It looks like the previous owner really jacked this carb. up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1994 tw200
12 Posts
I think this is the same problem I'm having; how did you fix it? I know this thread is old but what the heck, give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
22,381 Posts
Original poster seems to have a carb not meant for a Trailway. Solution would seem to be a clean & properly jetted stock TW,or TW compatible carburetor. There are supposedly some Chinese clones that are almost plug-n-play w/o throttle cable issues.

·
Registered
2004 TW200
28 Posts
Speaking of the carbs on our bikes. I noticed the later year TW's have different jetting than the older ones like my 2004. When I had my carb off I was surprised it was not a Keihin or Mukuni. Does anyone know what brand it is? Also, what name-brand jets fit them as a cross-reference?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
………When I had my carb off I was surprised it was not a Keihin or Mukuni. Does anyone know what brand it is? Also, what name-brand jets fit them as a cross-reference?
it is a Teikei carb. Genuine Teikei carbs have the letters “TK” on them.

They take Yamaha Teikei jets. Although there are now clones of the carbs and jets.

jb

·
Registered
2004 TW200
28 Posts
Mr. Jb - Thank you for the good explanation. I have worked on bikes my whole life and am not sure I have ever seen a Teikie carb? Since it sounds like you know your stuff, I'll ask this - Any chance you know the size of the 34 pilot orifice?
I see quite a few people are recommending that as the next size up from the OEM 31? Larger PJ is almost a standard on all carb bikes nowadays with the regulations. Some carb bikes new, barely even run in stock jetting configuration. My 450 Honda was a joke the way it came from the factory - so was my YZF450.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I don’t recall the orifice size, but it is so small that it is easily clogged by fuel residue and tiny dirt particles….it is one of the most common TW carb problems.

The stock 31 pilot jet works fine if it is clean. Going to a 34 helps because it is less likely to get clogged.

jb

·
Registered
2004 TW200
28 Posts
The larger 34 helps because it allows more fuel on cold starts and off-idle acceleration. The 31 is largest PJ for the richest fuel mixture at those conditions they could get away with due to regulations for emissions [ wonderful EPA geniuses ]. The couple thousands larger size of the 34 is not going to make any difference for clogging a .011 orifice vs says .012 or .013 orifice.
I just thought maybe you did a spec check on the two. Engineering curiosity.

My carb has the "TK" on it - I did not know what brand that was. Thank you again for educating me on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts