TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been building a crazy molested tw200 that I'm near completion, I just need a carb! I built the bike around a the stock carb on a 95 CA model tw (old style). I'd prefer the old style carb but if someone has a perfectly good, working new style carb i'll pay good money! I've sourced quite a few parts from this forum and its always been quite helpful so I figured I would shout here before calling salvage yards etc. Thanks! DDavis

Instagram

Feel free to contact me however you please, cheers!
DDavis
[email protected]

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Seeing as how you are doing a complete build up from parts and pieces you might do well to look into a BW 200 carb for this project. I've been told you can buy them new on the auction site for around $30 and they can be retrofitted to work given the BW engine is about the same as the TW.

You can also buy a new TW carb for around $250 or find a used one on the auctions and rebuild it.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
i don't think i have ever seen the bw200 carbs used before...do they have the cable connector for the throttle?...it doesn't seem like it from the photos i have seen on ebay...

i think this is a new style carb...
Yamaha TW200 Carburetor Carb Assembly | eBay

edit: sounds like you may need a throttle tube and cable from a bw200 as well...

http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/9382-carburetor-wanted-my-tw.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/7763-bw200-big-wheel-tws-brother-another-mother.html

I sold one of my TW's this week, so I had some motorcycle money burning a hole in my pocket. Saw this 1986 Yamaha Big Wheel BW200 on craigslist and went to take a look at it. As you can see, it followed me home.

TW's clearly share much of the DNA from this bike, however there are a number differences on the BW that I have noticed so far. Besides being for offroad only:

-There is a compression release linked in with the kickstarter.
-Different carb with a single cable throttle.
-Has an even smaller tank that is plastic.
-Lightswitch has Off-Lo-Hi positions.
-Has much bigger tires that are also tubeless. Front is 25x8.00-12. Rear is 23x12.00-9.
-Has smaller wheels. Front is 12". Rear is 9".
-Dual, adjustable rear shocks.
-Jackshaft drive.
-More that I haven't noticed, I'm sure.

I have only been able to ride it illegally around the block a few times but those beachball tires seem like they would roll over just about any rut. It feels like it is geared lower than a TW so I am sure the top speed would be less.

I don't have much use for a strictly offroad bike like this, so it probably won't become part of my permanent collection but it sure is a fun little bike to ride!

Brian

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
i don't think i have ever seen the bw200 carbs used before...do they have the cable connector for the throttle?...it doesn't seem like it from the photos i have seen on ebay...

i think this is a new style carb...
Yamaha TW200 Carburetor Carb Assembly | eBay

edit: sounds like you may need a throttle tube and cable from a bw200 as well...

http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/9382-carburetor-wanted-my-tw.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/7763-bw200-big-wheel-tws-brother-another-mother.html
Do a search here P37. I don't know much about this carb but it does have only one cable from the throttle. Others have discussed this carb and claim it does fit and work on our engines. Surely it needs some retrofitting but what I found appealing is the price and those who were discussing it claimed the BW and TW share the same engine so it certainly should be an option with some fiddling. Keep in mind however that I am simply passing on what I read here and have no first hand knowledge about any of this. I do know that the main carb off an XT 350 is almost the identical carb as ours except it has a through linkage that connects up to the second and very different other carb on those bikes. I see no reason why you couldn't just cut the linkage and use the XT 350 carb on a TW.

BTW, I think the best price I have seen on new TW carbs is around $250 and from Partzilla. Stadium Yamaha might do a price match or be running a sale and be close.

GaryL

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed a $26 carb (delivered) off of ebay and it works totally great. Look for my thread in Tech Help.
cnc200

1 - 9 of 9 Posts