TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my original carb with a new one recently, and the bike runs great with it. But then I bought a rebuild kit for the old one, to either keep as a spare, or to sell. I got the kits from ProCycle:

"Included in this kit are the parts needed to repair a first generation TK carburetor. You get a new float bowl gasket, needle valve gasket, pilot screw set, needle valve set, and new socket head float bowl screws."

So I completely disassembled it, soaked it in PineSol for a few days, then cleaned it out real good with carb cleaner, and reassembled using the new parts. Today I put it on the bike to see if it works so I can decide what to do with it. Sadly, it didn't work so well.

At first it seemed like it just wasn't getting enough fuel. So I pulled it and compared the float setting to the new carb. It was off a little so I set it to be the same (raised it a few mm). This actually made it worse. Pulled it again. Checked the service manual. It says 26-28mm. I checked it and was about 4-5mm low. Figured okay, why not. I set it and tried again. It actually ran better... but the carb now pops every few seconds (and you can see it jolt on the bike), and it eventually dies.

Now... this carb is 100% stock jetting. My new carb is jetted up just a little bit (like, maybe one main jet size and a shim on the needle), but my only mod is a DG pipe, and so you'd think at idle it should run pretty much the same. AF screw is set to 2-1/2 turns out on both carbs.

Any suggestions on what might be the issue? I've since put the new carb back in the bike and it still runs just fine.

·
Super Moderator
17,626 Posts
Intake or exhaust leak somewhere? Or too lean perhaps? Old style carb? I have a 42 pilot, 112 main, 3 shims, and around 2 and 3/4 turns out on the mix screw. I am about 2,000 feet in altitude and it's an 87.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Carb should be cleaned using ultrasonic cleaner. PineSol OK, but I like Simple Green. Try opening the idle mixture screw to 3 turns, and even more. Or close it to 2 turns and see what happens. You might have to play around with it.

Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner -- about $50 on sale with coupon. It does an unbelievably good job. Before and after:

P4160946.JPG P4160950.JPG P4160941.JPG P4160952.JPG

·
Registered
789 Posts
Maybe you freed up something in the idle circuit? Coughing only at idle? Try adjusting pilot screw while running
see if it makes any difference. If screwing it in and little change in idle.......thar she blows. What does the spark plug say?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts