TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen, I apologize to molson, BadgerFloris and GaryL for an error I made in my very first (original) post. Actually it was my son-in-law who bought it, and I said the bike was a 1987. That is not true, it’s a 2003 machine. There obviously was a miss-communication between my son-in-law and myself. When he bought the bike over to show me I got to reminiscing about the bikes that I had when I was younger. So some where along the line the wrong number got stuck in my mind. I think he wants to trade me this for my Harley. It sure is a lot lighter.
So I bought the correct rebuild kit and we’ll start from there. Actually it’s really is a pretty nice machine.
Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gentlemen,
I just purchased a 1987 TW200 and I’d like to replace the carburetor. I’m looking for a quality replacement, not the cheapest one. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, Tim
If you're not in California here's an OEM option: https://tinyurl.com/ya32oqqw I've heard the cheaper Chinese carbs are good too and at roughy ten times cheaper, I'd probably give the Chinese one a try.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I did the cheap $35 Chinese knockoff on my 89. It’s a knockoff of the newer style TK carb (2001 and newer bikes) so I also needed to buy the newer style boots. I spent more on the boots than the carb. The intake boot has a tube coming off that needs to be capped or plugged. You have to reroute the throttle cables which isn’t that hard. I’ve logged over 500 miles and have it running as good as my other two bikes with their stock carbs despite an air leak on the intake boot that I recently discovered and fixed.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you molson42. I'm on the East Coast so that's no problem. Yikes, the OEM one costs almost as much as I paid for the bike. Maybe I should go the rebuild route. Any suggestion on that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the cheap $35 Chinese knockoff on my 89. It’s a knockoff of the newer style TK carb (2001 and newer bikes) so I also needed to buy the newer style boots. I spent more on the boots than the carb. The intake boot has a tube coming off that needs to be capped or plugged. You have to reroute the throttle cables which isn’t that hard. I’ve logged over 500 miles and have it running as good as my other two bikes with their stock carbs despite an air leak on the intake boot that I recently discovered and fixed.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Thank you, just learning how to post here. I'll have to see it my son-in-law is up for that task. Do you know anything about a rebuilt kit.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I like the stock old style TK carbs and they are quite simple to rebuild if they are not totally clogged from sitting. The OEM parts are pretty much all the same from 1987-2000 so the typical parts suppliers usually have them in stock. I know some here have had success with rebuild kits from Pro Cycle and there are other kits also out there but why bother as long as the real OEM Yamaha parts are still available? In my experience with these carbs and where I ride I never found a need to change any jets or mess with the needle shimming process. Very high elevation is not an issue here for me. I have bought a few brand new OEM carbs and one you set the pilot screw at 2-2.25 turns right out of the box they just bolt right in and away you go. Changing the needle valve under the float and the enricher diaphragm are the two most important parts as long as you get the body clean and clog free.

GaryL

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen, I apologize to molson, BadgerFloris and GaryL for an error I made in my very first (original) post. Actually it was my son-in-law who bought it, and I said the bike was a 1987. That is not true, it’s a 2003 machine. There obviously was a miss-communication between my son-in-law and myself. When he bought the bike over to show me I got to reminiscing about the bikes that I had when I was younger. So some where along the line the wrong number got stuck in my mind. I think he wants to trade me this for my Harley. It sure is a lot lighter.
So I bought the correct rebuild kit and we’ll start from there. Actually it’s really is a pretty nice machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts