TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick trip over the hill to Boulder Creek, a quick u-turn and then back home. I was testing a second carburetor with a new o-ring on the idle mixture screw and using a 114 jet trying to get some color on an otherwise Lilly white porcelain.

Anyway, a couple of things I saw:

First guy to blow by me had a young lady as passenger showing a lot of leg. My thought was if they crash she will probably never wear shorts in public again.

Nice!.jpg

On the way home I got passed up by Kamikazes #1 and #2:

K1and K2.jpg

26 seconds later Kamikaze #3 passes me up:

K3.jpg

About 15 minutes later I pass them:

Passing K123.jpg

I also chased a Harley for a while. On the straights he would leave me but in the twistys (twisties?) I would catch up to him so fast it was comical, but that is video type material.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Nice pics Mr. elime. Funny how things turn out sometimes (speeders getting tickets). I think I am going to try out one of the Oko carburetors like Landser used on his retro TW. I think I would buy the twist grip throttle to match so as not to have issues with hook up. Price he mentioned puts oem to shame. Of course this is IIRC. lol

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Excellent test ride observations, as well as observations of other cyclists. But did the better seal on the mixture screw cure the seemingly lean carbonation?
Assume the still pictures were pulled from your Liquid Logic gogle camera, which I still think is rather cleaver integrating gogles plus video camera in one device.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Playing with jets seems like challenging job. How do you know where to start?

Looks like a case of the tortoise and the hare. I have no idea what a speeding ticket cost because I've never had one.

IMG_5894.JPG

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
:director: Pull over buddy... :iroc:

Looks like a case of the tortoise and the hare. I have no idea what a speeding ticket cost because I've never had one.

View attachment 48857

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But did the better seal on the mixture screw cure the seemingly lean carbonation? Assume the still pictures were pulled from your Liquid Logic gogle camera
Before I replaced the o-ring opening the screw from about 2 turns to 4 1/2 or 5 turns made no difference. The engine popped coasting down hill -- a sign it is to lean. I replaced the o-ring and it is all good now at about 2 3/4 turns.

And yes, the still pics pulled from the video Liquid Image camera. There is no feeling for how fast those guys blew by me in the stills but a lot easier than putting up video.

Start with a meticulously cleaned carb and all new brass parts and new gaskets and o-rings. After that it is just tweaking (a little leaner or richer, setting the float a little higher or lower, etc.) trying to get a little more out of it. Very rewarding when it works. Very frustrating when it doesn't.

As for the cost of speeding tickets, it is so high a normal person doesn't speed again for 3 or 4 months after getting one. It is getting the second speeding ticket that cures you of speeding for a year or more.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice pics Mr. elime. Funny how things turn out sometimes (speeders getting tickets). I think I am going to try out one of the Oko carburetors like Landser used on his retro TW. I think I would buy the twist grip throttle to match so as not to have issues with hook up. Price he mentioned puts oem to shame. Of course this is IIRC. lol
Thanks. If you try the carb make sure to report how it worked out.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I will do that. I only think it will work because I used a different carb on a model airplane engine years ago. It really woke that engine up. Idle was a problem though.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I will do that. I only think it will work because I used a different carb on a model airplane engine years ago. It really woke that engine up. Idle was a problem though.
No offense intended...somehow I don't think a 2 cycle model airplane carb equates to a 4 cycle motorcycle engine carb.... :eek:

jb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts