TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
You may want to ditch your phone number on your post and give it out in a PM. You could get a bunch of scamming type of phone calls with it being out in the public like it is. Happened to a few people I know.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You can buy brand new carbs for around $270. I see them used on the auction site from time to time but most go for over $100 and need to be cleaned and rebuilt. You also have to watch for broken float posts as this is a common reason for dumping a used carb.

Just FYI, Yamaha does not sell a rebuild kit but they do sell all the jets and stuff needed piece by piece. It will cost over $100 to get them all OEM. I have heard good and bad regarding the after market rebuild kits and you might get lucky or end up loosing hair with them. I went both ways in the beginning and tried a kit that did not work. Bought all the OEM parts and it still ran like crap. Bought a new carb and it dropped right in and runs great.

Good luck with what ever way you decide to go.

GaryL

·
Registered
240 Posts
I answered a very similar thread earlier today so I'm just going to copy some info over:

Here is a much much cheaper carb solution: Mikuni 28-418 flat slide carb (typically $100-130).

I personally do not have this carb YET. There is another member in the forum that's done it. Here are a couple threads:

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/2236-aftermarket-carb-tw200.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/2271-dyno-chart-230cm-enigine-over-20hp.html

Here is a link for some jets (if he still has 'em):

http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/8620-jets-mikuni-tm28-1-vm28-sale.html

If you decide to go this route, I'd love to hear any input. Whenever I get to this point, I'll post up for everyone too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you can get a Yamaha bw200 carb for 30 bucks. It fits the tw200 manifold fine, different throttle cable. I haven't ran mine with this carb yet but I don't see it being a problem. the bw200 and tw200 engines are very similar.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
you can get a Yamaha bw200 carb for 30 bucks. It fits the tw200 manifold fine, different throttle cable. I haven't ran mine with this carb yet but I don't see it being a problem. the bw200 and tw200 engines are very similar.
Can you post a link where these carbs are selling? I would spend $30 bucks just to check it out side by side.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Hi Andy,

I would be interested to see if these BW200 carbs with the single throttle cable coming out of the top of the carb will fit into the TW200 frame as is, or if some modifications will be needed.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I don't have a stock TW carb but I do have the carb that came on my parts bike. The bike seem to run OK with it but honestly, I didn't have a lot of confidence in it. It has a single cable that was "Mickey Mioused" to the twist grip. If you want to give it a try let me know.

Carb3.jpg Carb1.jpg carb2.jpg

PM me your email and I can send bigger pictures or your address and I will send it to you. No guarantees. It may not be worth the effort.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
You have gotten good advice so far.I think something like ebay carb should be easiest direct replacement as stock carbs very interchangable year to year. Above links show basics for better performance from pumper carb conversion. Top throttle pull unit( VM28-418) is affordable and available but requires throttle and throttle cable mods . MRBracket's build thread should be read if interested and highlights jetting problems.He is awsome fabricator. Push-pull TM28-1 seems the much prefferable unit for TW but expensive if it canbe found.Push/pull throttle cable assembly is higher and looks to conflict with tank. Try search feature here to find much more accurate info than my opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm all over this! I'm fed up with the factory carb on my 87. Anyone try it, yet? Does it need to be rejetted or anything else? As for needing a new, single cable throttle (Domino, etc.), I don't see the need for that. The Mikunis have a healthy return spring in them, and should pull back the one cable on the standard throttle. Just remove and chuck the second cable. Haven't tried it myself, but seems reasonable. Anything wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I works! I was totally frustrated with the stock carb on my 87 Tdub. From the sound of things on the group, even if it is set up perfectly, it's finicky with altitude. Enough, already! I bought a new carb off of ebay for a whopping $26 (delivered) and it bolted right on. I didn't want to hack up the existing dual cable setup, so I took it all off and scrounged a twist grip and throttle off of a dead Honda-like Chinese bike at a junkyard. It worked perfectly! Hooked it all up and hit the start button. It sprang to life in 1 second and purred. Choked at first, then half choke in a few seconds, and after maybe 30 seconds, no choke. Threw a leg over and roared off. Very smooth, no flat spots, same power (by feel). Goes up hills the same as before. Idles right down to thumpa-thumpa speed and has no hesitation when gassing it. This carb looks like a copy of a Mikuni to me. Didn't even have to adjust the needle or jets or anything. It just runs. I'll keep the carb around for the next owner (some year), but I've apparently found the holy grail of carburetors for the Tdub. The carb I used can be found at Carburetor Yamaha BW 200 BW200 Big Wheel Bike 1985 1988 Carb NNN No | eBay I recommend purchasing a Domino throttle assembly and a single cable, 36" long. The carb end of the cable has to have a small, cylindrical nub on the end. I also removed the angled tube on top of the carb. Grab in a vise and drill the end of the tube until it falls off. Used a threaded cable adapter from a junked scooter. Tapped the top of the carb with a 7X1.0mm tap to accept the adapter. The adapter allows some adjustment of the cable. Can't tell you how thrilled I am that I'm finally free from that stock carb.

Looking at the same seller's other stuff, it looks like http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWIST-Throttle-Grip-Cable-ATC-110-125-185-185S-200-250R-Black-/261389892003?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cdc0d39a3 would work, or at least be close. Still need to add a cable end on the carb end and whack off the angled tube. I may just burn my old stock carb at the stake....

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
CNC200,

Does the rubber boot to the airbox fit with no modification?

And the manifold boot? The Teikei carb has a 33mm diameter manifold connection, and the Ebay Mikuni Chinese copy has a 35mm connection.

Any problem getting it connected?

Thanks.

jb

1 - 20 of 29 Posts