1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

what is the difference ?

left side vs right side ??

round top or rectangular ??

any differences in the engine which prohibits switching ??

em

·
Registered
174 Posts
ones a flat slide (or round slide? not sure haven't held one) the newer ones are CV. I imagine there's nothing against changing them both aside from possible throttle cable connections etc.

not sure what left/right side means?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I know this has been talked about before. Yes, old is a slide carb, and I believe the throttle cables mount on the left side. New is a CV carb and throttle cables mount on the right. I also think that you would have to switch out the intake boots on both sides of the carb as they are different old to new. Yes, it can be done, but at some cost. Try doing a search and maybe elaborate more on your thoughts or plan for more in depth assistance.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The carb boots are a different size and the cv carb cables are on the right and the old one on the left. I think the older carbed bikes make a little more power in the lower half of the rpm range while the cv carbs make more towards the top end of the rpm range. The cv carb isnt as finicky about tuning either.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The carb boots are a different size and the cv carb cables are on the right and the old one on the left. I think the older carbed bikes make a little more power in the lower half of the rpm range while the cv carbs make more towards the top end of the rpm range. The cv carb isnt as finicky about tuning either.
I've got a '96 and a '13 and you are right. The '96 seems snappier at lower RPMs but the '13 seems to get to it's power higher in the rev range.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Both carbs can be made to work on old and new bikes. There are costs involved over and above just the carb. I guess the question might be Why are you asking?

if you have a pre 2001 bike then just buy an old style carb. Post 2001 and you buy a new style carb. I have not heard enough concrete evidence to make such a carb change valuable enough to cover the added expense unless you happen to have a complete but blown motor to scavenge all the parts from.

GaryL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts