TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hey guys, is normal that I find, if put my finger under, this hole a bit wet of fuel everytime?
Not normal.

That is the drain for the float bowl, but it is also the drain for the bowl overflow tube.

Most likely there is a slight leak from the valve seat o-ring.

You can temporarily stop it from dripping by turning off the petcock when not riding the bike.

jb

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Lol – not for a bike at any rate

I trust that this “hole” has a pipe attached, which should lead below the frame – some “wetness” can occur when she gets a bit excited, ridden hard etc – but a “constant leak” either means the float bowl isn’t sealing correctly, or your onto a winner

As far as the bike is concerned, making sure the fuel is turned off at the tank when not in use is a good idea – everything else I’ll leave to your discretion ……. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
Are you shutting off your petcock while trailering??
Only time I have a leak there is when Dub's on the trailer and going way up in elevation - I'll get some fuel dripping as the fuel expands in the bowl

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not constant at all, I never noticed actually a single drop even on the engine, it's only a bit wet that drain hole when i put finger under it, that's all, the tip of the finger gets slightly wet from fuel
Yes I drive my bike pretty hard, like speeding, high rpm, I stress the bike a lot, oil is super fine, never a single problem related to it, aside a leak couple of weeks ago but that was solved with some gasket changes and also I did a change of oil 2 days ago (3000km reached with old oil)
The drain screw is new and screwed in quite good (the screw that when unscrewed let the fuel pour out from the bowl)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
more than likely you need a new needle seat which I consider a routine maintenance item like an oil filter etc.

If the needle seat is not shutting off fuel flow once the proper float level is achieved the fuel can rise above the bowl gasket and leak out (assumes a tired bowl gasket which is also common) depending on how much fuel the needle seat is allowing to pass the carby could overflow from the vent. The biggest risk of letting this go is that fuel can (and will) leak into the crankcase and dilute the oil which is obviously bad for lubrication but will quickly dissolve clutch plates leading to an early clutch failure and a nasty clean up job

take a peak at your oil level and see if it's rising above the usual level and take a whif of your crankcase and see if you smell carby juice ie petrol

Spend 50 bucks on (2) news needle seat kits and a bowl gasket and be sure to clean or replace your pilot jet while you're in there. Carry the spare )back up" set along with your spare spark plus etc in your tool kit for the next time you'll need it

Partzilla charges the same shipping for one or two (or more) kits so it will lower your cost per kit by grabbing two

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Not constant at all, I never noticed actually a single drop even on the engine, it's only a bit wet that drain hole when i put finger under it, that's all, the tip of the finger gets slightly wet from fuel
Yes I drive my bike pretty hard,......

The drain screw is new and screwed in quite good (the screw that when unscrewed let the fuel pour out from the bowl)
You are probably OK then.

Even when the drain screw is tight, fuel can drip out because the bowl overflow tube also drains from the same place.

It is possible for some fuel to go into the overflow tube when gas sloshes around in the bowl, though it shouldn't happen in normal riding.

jb

·
Registered
910 Posts
Put a hose on it and run the other end up high and a couple of inches. See how much gas accumulates. If none does then don't worry about it.
This will work...but keep an eye on it. If the fuel fills the bent up tube higher than the intake you will start getting fuel working it's way into your oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts