TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98,000 acres burned 20% contained. 6 deaths very very sad! 3,400 firefighters. This fire came with Firenadows! Fire on steroids! It pulled 50 foot oak trees out of the ground. 40,000 people have been evacuated. National Guard has shown up. 750 homes have burned. It's been ripping up asphalt and spraying slow fire trucks. Never seen the extremes this fire is showing. The fire line is 100 miles long. The entire perimeter of Whiskeytown Lake was burned. The entire Federal park has been burned. The boats in the marina were burned. For those who participated in the "Northwest Passage with Outlaws" ride will remember these mountains as green. It burned all the way to the top of Mt. Bally.

I'm planning on riding this area out of curiosity this fall. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the devastation and loss of life those fires have brought to your state. Here on the east coast we have had record rain fall, flash floods and people are drowning. Crazy times we are in.

11A8067C-054E-4A88-AE8B-9BAF2742DA2B.jpeg

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Very sad and in no small way, scary. Mule Town road was lots of fun, still have the videos. Fear many of those folks will be riding a 'rough road' for a bit. My guess is flames moved within 7 miles of your place. Since we live in a giant dry 'bush' our go-bag is packed, dog harnesses adjusted for added girth. Use to throw most of my shop stuff into the "grease-pit" and cover with a fire blanket. After viewing the link Fred provided a couple of years ago (Thanks Fred) and videos of the Carr fire, the effort now seems silly. Went about the neighborhood and matched lot addresses with first and last names. Printed and distributed the list so if so inclined one would be able to separate a looter/looky-lou from a concerned Friend. If you don't know the name of a resident, you don't need to be here (my opinion).
------
Most of us are old enough to 'understand', in life, SHIT HAPPENS. Folks, give a bit more thought to be, a little more prepared. I am not a prep-per but in the short term, if I am thirsty, it sure is nice to have a bottle of water in the truck. Take care.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
My condolences to all those affected by the fires this season. I was at work today about 170 miles south of Redding, and there was a thick haze in the air. It smelled like being near a campfire. Can't imagine how bad it must be up near ground zero.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yep, fires suck. Was supposed to head out on vacation yesterday. The Mendocino Complex of fires has moved east into Lake County. Nearly half of the community's of Lake County are under evacuation orders. My dad has evacuated to my place. We are next in line for evacuation orders. After the terrible fires south of here less than a year ago, officials are being very proactive with notices. Not nearly the loss of the Care fire near Sandue but sure getting tired of all this destruction.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Devastating, and sad. Im in northeast NV and the smoke from all the nor-cal fires and a couple of our own have made it impossible to see the mountain range which lies 8 miles from my house. Thick air, difficult to breathe. Couldn't imagine being as close as you are. Stay safe!

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Carr and Mendocino Complex fires are still creeping closer to some really good TW Forum members.
Let's all say a prayer not only for them but all those really affected by the devastation. Blaze orange sunsets and moonrises may look pretty from a distance but when thy are burning your way or through your neighborhood it is serious stuff.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I hope they can get the fires under control soon, we're getting smoke from the california fires here even.
Hopefully no one else will get injured from this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was at a Rally in Weaverville the weekend before the fire started.
I rode the TW from Weaverville to (almost) Shasta Lake/Dam via mostly dirt on Friday the 20'th.

On Saturday (21'st) I kayaked on Whiskeytown Lake near the Carr Power Station.
It was beautiful. Now "was" has a special meaning as it's gotta be so scarred.

My ride report, with pictures, is ---> HERE.
(click on the pic to get full size)
There's pictures of my ride to Shasta as well as Kayak pictures of Carr Power Station… surrounded by forest. Then.

Sure hope the Bald Eagles nest in the ride report wasn't taken out. But I fear otherwise.

It will be so sad to go back and see the charred remains.

And of course, with relatives in the area, I do feel for those who lost there homes and more.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Tuber, please tell your buddy's thank you. I have been on mandatory evacuation for 2 days now because of the Ranch Fire in the Mendocino Complex. Since I have ridden with Sandue and Gerry, I have a bit of outlaw in me and am still home holding down the fort. We are ready to leave if and when I determine we need to. I have a great vantage point on the ridge behind my house to see how the fire is moving and have been checking every hour or so. Yes, they have been having a tough time of it to the tune of 120,000 acres and only 28% containment.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Jerry, we are in High Valley out of Clearlake Oaks. No fire activity her over night. Lucerne to the west and Spring Valley to the east were both hit hard overnight.
Hey Joe,

Glad to hear that you are still safe!
Lucerne and Spring Valley is where we last rode together for our Weld & Ride, right? Beautiful country, so sorry to hear that it is burning.

Brian

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Everywhere we have ridden in this area has burned.
I Googled a map of the fire and came to that conclusion.

I was also watching the Eel Fire east of Covelo. Hopefully that can be controlled and not allowed to get any larger than it is now.

So many fires all at once. Makes me think someone is starting them. Best of luck to you and your family.

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Joe, we remain concerned for you. So sad to think of those areas reduced to ash and rubble.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts