TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to pull my tiny [email protected] trailer behind my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser--no way I can put a motorcycle rack on the back of the little trailer.
Does anyone have any experience with a front bumper mounted rack on a Cruiser? Trying to figure out a way to bring both on road trips...

thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You say a "tiny" trailer. Depending on how tiny; Versa-Hauler M/C carrier has a receiver hitch on the back allowing you to pull a trailer behind your M/C. Look at the VH Sport specs.

"The VH-SPORT has a Class III hitch on the end of the carrier. It is limited to light-duty applications. The max towing weight, regardless of your vehicle, is 3000 lbs."

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love to pull my tiny [email protected] trailer behind my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser--no way I can put a motorcycle rack on the back of the little trailer.
Does anyone have any experience with a front bumper mounted rack on a Cruiser? Trying to figure out a way to bring both on road trips...

thanks
I tow my travel trailer and front mount my bike on my tundra. 2" receiver. No problem.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
the versahaul sport: that's the ticket!
the little trailer weighs less than a ton.
Yeah, I have used that behind my Tundra pulling an Aliner at about 1500 lbs. for 7 years now. I did have to install air bags or I would have been on the axle. About 55 lbs in them does the ticket. It handles very nicely, but on an FJ40 you might experience twitchiness above 55-60 due to the shorter wheelbase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but a narrow flange 8" wide channel 6' long oughta make one of those pretty quick. Add the tie downs on each end and some 2" square tube and you're done for probably under $100. Of course you gotta be able to weld too.

I have one of the HF brand that's suppose to handle 300 lbs but it sure is shaky with the TW on it. Been thinking about beefing it up some.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been happy with the B-Dawg motorcycle carrier with towing option. I had to get air suspension installed on my SUV to handle the weight of the motorcycle, but that was fairly inexpensive especially since I opted to not use an onboard air compressor. I have two schrader valves mounted under the rear bumper and it's easy to use those to pump up the suspension when I need it. I towed a TW200 on the carrier and a small trailer loaded with a large ATV (Polaris Sportsman Touring) from Sacramento, CA to St. George, UT without any problem. In UT I cruised at 70 mph since they don't have a speed restriction when towing and everything stayed smooth and easy to handle.

IMG_0705.JPG

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also carry my TW on a front mounted carrier inserted into a 2" receiver hitch. Mine is on the front of my Ford F350, and honestly-you cannot tell that there is an extra 300 lbs on the front. The biggest challenges are 1) the carrier can move/wiggle a little bit within the hitch-and that can be a bit unnerving at first. No one wants to see their precious TW fall off and then drive over it! This is easily remedied with some straps securing the carrier to the frame. 2). The hitch originally sat very high on the front end of my truck. The handlebars and headlight were in the passengers line of sight and the headlights were blocked somewhat. I remedied that by fabricating a 6" drop adapter installed into the receiver to lower the carrier. Now, the headlights are more effective, and the passengers can see clearly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts