TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from a four day trip high sierra trip to enjoy latest full moon and some darn good riding. It all starts with a good camp site and I picked a pretty good clean one with shade, mountain peak and lake views...

Being just below the Sierra crest I was close to quite a variety of riding conditions on both Pacific and inland sides yet got chased back to camp each afternoon by thunderstorms. Still covered some pretty ground and paused at many inviting other remote campsites.

Some of these sites could accommodate a larger group. Hint, hint...Let me tell you about the aspens, single tracks, mountain passes, history, stellar views, etc after I unload some gear and cook up some videos since there was more than just a dozen or so great camp sites.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reports of intense rain and hail the evening before I left had me anticipating no dust and moist soils. Little did I know that the intense run-off had flushed away a lot of the fine organics down to mineral soil and rocks in places making things more difficult in places. Smoke from regional wildfires was annoying the first evening as it hid approaching rain squalls so I would get splattered with rain or hail without much warning. Subsequent days the wind shifted so I could see and often avoid approaching thunderstorms.
Sheetwash the day before really moved some material around.

This single track was sooo very close to topping out at the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail but I stopped fearing a mistake would ruin my day.

This one was better:

This one was way worse:

This one was most excellent:

Moist rains on the Pacific side gives the woods a temperate rain forest feel with lots of moss on everything.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice link Tommy. I have ridden the Bristlecone monument road in the White Mountains to the locked gate @ ~ 10,500 beyond the turn to Silver Creek ( which has good camping along side a very challenging road, dessert big horn sheep and year round creek flows down lower near Bishop) and yet to be explored Wyman Canyon. Really nice destinations. A highly recommendable destination whose access gate closes in another month. GrandView Campground partway up the mountain is a good base camp and allows acclimation to the elevation to those from sea level.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I knew you'd been up there somewhere!! :p
Nice link Tommy. I have ridden the Bristlecone monument road in the White Mountains to the locked gate @ ~ 10,500 beyond the turn to Silver Creek ( which has good camping along side a very challenging road, dessert big horn sheep and year round creek flows down lower near Bishop) and yet to be explored Wyman Canyon. Really nice destinations. A highly recommendable destination whose access gate closes in another month. GrandView Campground partway up the mountain is a good base camp and allows acclimation to the elevation to those from sea level.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"It's amazing the places a TW can take you” - Blueduce
So true! And the TW makes a pretty good ice-breaker too. While awaiting a Follow Me​ car at head of a road contruction zone on Carson Pass a BMW came passing cars to join me at head of line. We joked about the joy of lane splitting and he had never seen a “Betty Boop-mobile” before. Turns out he was a German returning from Burning Man to Bay Area. He had bought the BMW stateside 19 years ago for a vacation ride and rather than sell it at end of his ride he was lucky enough to meet nice folks who store the bike for him year after year. So back he comes year after year. He knew all the good Sierra passes, nothing I could share he didn’t already know. Later I tried to chase him over the summit but he left me far behind.

Over four days I encountered only three more people off the highway: A girl hiking with her Pit Bull who appreciated me complimenting her on a handsome dog ( so may people hate pit bulls that their owners are tired of explaining) , a fellow in a nicely built-up older Blazer and two smiling girls hiking the Horse Canyon Trail. I think the mellow exhaust, silly orange paint and Betty Boop Stickers tend to disarm folk’s concerns. The Sierra Club backpack helps. I was all prepared with maps and photos showing how I had legal right to be on the single track since sometimes hikers can get apoplectic or argumentative, but yesterday I just got waves and smiles.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First taste of a nice motorcycle approved trail that takes one up to the ridge line to join the Pacific Crest Trail. I hadn’t been up there in years. What used to be smooth all the way now has eroded into a rocky foot wide riverbed further up the slope. Loosing traction that required foot dabs had me remember that I promised wifey and surgeon that I was not to over-stress my right hip. So I turned around and found even more challenging rides.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
When I come home and I see a ride post from you Fred, I know the pictures and videos are going to be awesome. And you did not disappoint on this trip either.

This trail looks very K-gnarly.

Looks amazingly fun

Along with your narrative, this is a knee slapper. Too funny Fred, I love it.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imagine the fall colors once these lakeside aspens start to change. Lots of nice aspen groves most places I went but these towering beauties caught my eye.

Very tranquil setting.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another nice single track not far from camp climbing up towards the Sierra crest. These things seem like they go on for miles. View at video’s end overlooks Kirkwood Ski Resort and Caples Lake.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I saw a double handful of alpine lakes, some big, some small, all scenic and pristine. These four little guys in the background are perhaps my favorite jewels. They sit high in a dramatic cirque near where the Pacific Crest Trail meets up with the historic route where ol’ Kit Carson led General Fremont and his band of merry troops on one of their journeys. Apparently after seeing Mexico’s Craigslist add for the sale of California they went around kicking the tires seeing if their was truth in advertising. Guess they liked what they saw for soon thereafter, and just before gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill the sale was consumated. Ben venidos a los Estados Unitos!!!

EDIT: I swear there were four little lakes out there although these photos only show two. Maybe I am getting more senile than I thought.:p

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
alright phred,
beautiful pics, reminds me of travels last year...

here's a quiz, but you're the resident expert on that area, so these should be easy for you...

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 5.36.59 PM.jpg pic #1 too obvious what, but where...?

lake 1.jpg pic #2 attempting

fish 1.jpg pic #3 evidence of some success... and a pre-dinner snack

Attachments

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe, you’ve out-fooled me. Let me guess...Carson River somewhere?, wife and son who could use new mono-filament fishing line on a gorgeous lake shore I do not recognize, and some sort of tasty looking inland rainbow shark?

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The overlaying basaltic flow rock wasn't too ugly either.

This is looking down into Summit City canyon at edge of Mokulumne Wilderness. Nothing is left of the ghost town, one of several mining camps that shared the same place name. Steep country! High and harsh winters up there too...the white bark pines tend to have growth on just one side of their ancient tortured trunks.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Speaking of trees I had a blazingly good time....

Cruising down a single track I had to stop for this ghost burl trunk rotting away at edge of trail. The various grain patterns were intriguing.

It was a good place to take a break...then my "ten second rule" kicked in....when thunder is heard within ten seconds of the flash I tend to scurry away..

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
On the inland side of Carson Pass the main highway descends through aspen lined beautiful Hope Valley. High above Hope Valley lays Crater Lake where one of our group rides went after riding Hope, Faith and Charity Valleys. This video is of a ride to a mine site adjacent to Crater Lake on an overlooking mountain slope. Admiral would like this place.

By end of this video my bike is developing a noticeable valve tick which only gets worse. I thought I had properly adjusted slightly loose valves addressing a similar valve noise on eve of departure. Nice and quite then, scarily loud now. I just might find an inadequately tightened lock nut when I open things up again.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Joe, you’ve out-fooled me. Let me guess...Carson River somewhere?, wife and son who could use new mono-filament fishing line on a gorgeous lake shore I do not recognize, and some sort of tasty looking inland rainbow shark?
ok, it was a bit of a cheat.... since you were talking about carson pass, but this is ebbetts pass, some 20 miles or less south as the crow flies. alpine county is so beautiful!

View attachment 126025 pic #1 CORRECT- the carson river, about 3 miles upriver of markleeville.

View attachment 126041 pic #2 upper highland lake

View attachment 126033 pic #3 a brook trout caught by my son in said lake.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice pics of nice memories Joe.
A few years ago a group of us TW Nutjobs rode to Highland Lakes and over to Markleevile where we gassed up, drank beer and watched some of the World Series before heading back over mountain to camp. That was when evan, Boarder255 and bananachunks and I had a camp-n-ride based out of Utica Reservoir.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts