TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Post-Caldor Fire road closures cover most everything north of HWY 88 I elected to honor the closure and play on the south side.
Caples Lake was windy and cold.
Cloud Water Sky Mountain Plant

Red Lake was cold and windy.
Cloud Water Sky Plant Water resources

Finding a good camp was cold and windy.
Sky Snow Road surface Natural landscape Tree

Then it got really windy overnight.

However a new day dawned bright and cheerful. Bit of a beaver pond at edge of camp.
Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Good riding on the shoulders avoiding wheel track ice in morning. Later in day as stuff softens often the wheel tracks then became better.
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Mixed snow and dirt was fun but stock tire eventually shows its limitations. Have to pick lines a bit more carefully and spinning the tire still is hard to avoid.
Sky Plant Mountain Light Automotive lighting

Red Lake was much better yesterday without the wind chill.
Water Sky Wheel Mountain Plant

Managed to find a few roads less traveled.
Tree Plant Lighting Branch Wood

This extremely nice tree and the granite boulder it wraps around used to flavor this sheltered camp until the 2 percenters showed up with their spray paint cans. Error in my camera setting prevent seeing all the tagging but I think it is a desecration best left in an urban environment.
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Natural landscape

...I don't care how artistic. This old cabin has been "decorated" above Burnside Lake.
Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Between the post-fire closures and the snow I ran out of places I wanted to ride.
Fun times though, a consolation prize after tossing Betty Boop's chain.

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after exploring some more I called it quits while I was ahead and not needing to deploy any of LT's aerial distress signals stamped in the snow. :)

Land vehicle Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Mr.Gizmo, a.k.a. "NIBBLER" with new modular helmet Donzo recommended pausing above Hope Valley. Light, quite and very eyeglass friendly.Thanks Don!
Wheel Tire Helmet Plant Automotive tire

So I went home to see what trouble was afoot with me gone. Bear had flipped over this table to properly smash a bird feeder I had repaired but days before.
Wood Floor Flooring Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, a snow park closer had blocked off access to Blue Lakes via Hope, Faith and Charity Valleys even though there hardly any snow... a bureaucratic rather than meteorological or other science based decision. I think the paved road would have been open.
Access via Forestdale Road was open leading from my camp. I turned around once road became semi-continuous snowpack in steeper terrain.
Snowmobile Snow Automotive tire Tree Freezing

Access via Hermit Gove on HWY 4 via Deer Creek corridor through wilderness not accessible since HWY 4 gated closed between Silver Creek & Alpine Lake.

Good fun in the mostly melted out forested zones. Warm dry weather is predicted for next several weeks so more riding likely awaits. Sorry for underexposed photos, have to sit down and have a talk with camera about default settings.
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Bicycle
:)

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Since Post-Caldor Fire road closures cover most everything north of HWY 88 I elected to honor the closure and play on the south side.
View attachment 220061

View attachment 220062

View attachment 220063

However a new day dawned bright and cheerful. Bit of a beaver pond at edge of camp.
View attachment 220064

Good riding on the shoulders avoiding wheel track ice in morning. Later in day as stuff softens often the wheel tracks then became better.
View attachment 220065

Mixed snow and dirt was fun but stock tire eventually shows its limitations. Have to pick lines a bit more carefully and spinning the tire still is hard to avoid.
View attachment 220066

View attachment 220067

View attachment 220068

This extremely nice tree and the granite boulder it wraps around used to flavor this sheltered camp until the 2 percenters showed up with their spray paint cans. Error in my camera setting prevent seeing all the tagging but I think it is a desecration best left in an urban environment.
View attachment 220069

...I don't care how artistic. This old cabin has been "decorated" above Burnside Lake.
View attachment 220070

Between the post-fire closures and the snow I ran out of places I wanted to ride.
Love the photos, hate the cold...:eek:🥶

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Many times I've ridden down those ice toboggan runs called roads in those areas, only to find I couldn't ride back up them. Ha! I learned back when I had my KDX to don't do that! Elkins Flat was my favorite snow riding area because the soil was rocky enough to find some traction. But where the trees thinned out, the snow would get deep and I'd find myself stick in a drift. That was back when I had a Kawasaki KX500 modded for trail bike work. With an M5B rear tire, I could dig a trench up any snow field and fly. No way to steer, just hang on and let 'er rip. Ha! That bike scared the piss out of me more than a few times and eventually sold it to a co-worker. Just starting it was a toss of the dice to see if the kick starter would throw me and bets on just how far were made by my riding 'buddies'.

Great photos and I don't think they are too dark, that's just the flat lighting in white territory on a cloudy day is all. Add in fog and it's hard to tell earth from sky on those days.

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe these toboggan runs will melt out before next round of snow. We could meet up somewhere sometime if you can get your bike running acceptably.
Plant Sky Automotive tire Tree Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
View attachment 220061

View attachment 220062

View attachment 220063

View attachment 220064

View attachment 220065

View attachment 220066

View attachment 220067

View attachment 220068

View attachment 220069

View attachment 220070

Outstanding. I know this is fun even when it's a little chilly. OK, cold!
I've always wondered who in the world says let's go for a ride and don't forget the spraypaint so we can graffiti something? While possibly artistic, why do they have to artistic places gosh-dang-it? Trying their hand a future ancient pictographs perhaps. It's all ugly to me!

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Admiral, you, Lori and several other's likely remember all those places from our Carson Pass Group Ride in October 2017 when nine or 10 of us camped at the same Forestdale location.
A bit of snow sure makes things look a bit different though and made inaccessible much of the terrain video'd on Saturday.
Same for Sunday, all this was closed either by snow or the Caldor Post-Fire Administrative Road Closure.
Good memories of good rides with good people. I'm chomping at the bit to get back in there and see if enough remains unburnt so as to be repeatable.

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Admiral posted this video reminding me that not only we had three days of fun up there but that I was also a month away from a sorely needed hip replacement and showing some pain at times. I could ride OK, just couldn't walk OK. I leaned on the bike a lot. All good now!

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a side note Boarder255 & I once were camped above Caples Lake and rode over Carson Summit & up Forestdale summit to climb on foot a peak to watch the full moon rise. Hardest part was hiking back over broken ground and finding bikes in the dark.Was so much fun rockin'out under moonlight that we blew past camp and continued on for an hour of singletrackery. Good lighting, good company and good destinations made for a memorable night but a very late supper.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
Admiral, you, Lori and several other's likely remember all those places from our Carson Pass Group Ride in October 2017 when nine or 10 of us camped at the same Forestdale location.
A bit of snow sure makes things look a bit different though and made inaccessible much of the terrain video'd on Saturday.
Same for Sunday, all this was closed either by snow or the Caldor Post-Fire Administrative Road Closure.
Good memories of good rides with good people. I'm chomping at the bit to get back in there and see if enough remains unburnt so as to be repeatable.
That was a very fun weekend of riding. There were so many places to ride. Excellent dual-sport riding.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
Admiral posted this video reminding me that not only we had three days of fun up there but that I was also a month away from a sorely needed hip replacement and showing some pain at times. I could ride OK, just couldn't walk OK. I leaned on the bike a lot. All good now!
Hard to believe this was that long ago already! I haven't seen this video for a few years. Nice to go back and review once in a while.
I had forgotten how good the weather was that weekend.
Photograph White Light Product Font

This picture isn't everyone. We had a good crew show up for this ride.
Daytime Food Table Hat Tree

Mrs. Admiral has a photo similar to this on her laptop. The fall colors were great too!
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Mountain

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Odd, I don't remember it feeling that hot even though the listed heat index was for 6,157 degrees F. Fortunately overnight temperatures did drop below the predicted 320 degree F dew point.
Weather forecasters don't always get it right.
Fun weekend leading a good group of friends all made here on the forum. We even got another round of badges made by forum member Mike's House of Madness.
Road surface Asphalt Font Art Plant

Fun sharing some of the riding areas I enjoy so much.
Another trip down memory lane with another of Admiral video showing many of places I could not get into on this latest visit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts