TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

wondering if you have any suggestions for cases or bags that fit nicely on the cycle rack “hump” model. This being the one with the raised handle at the back. The actual mounting area is rectangular so that makes it difficult for many of the standard top cases.

photos for inspo would be very much appreciated!

thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Simple surplus 12" x 16" valises from the old paperwork days work well on hump model CycleRacks. This photo is of my other TW with a different rack but they fit the CycleRack equipped TW to the left equally well. Low enough to easily throw a leg over.

Available for just a few bucks at GoodWill and the like they can be stacked as necessary for more storage. Tool tube visible at rear as well as a pair under the rack hold first aid, hygene and wellness supplies as well as rescue gear for when bike may lack "wellness"

I usually enough get tools, food, beverages , air compressor etc for a day's outing in one but my camp gear rack & bags can drop right over the top on their own supplemental rack support system.

The humped CycleRack TW in the background has a removable day-pack instead to haul gear out with me on foot should the TW ever break down back of beyond. It is expandable and can haul a lot more yet does not look as neat and squared away as the valise option.
It also has underslung tool tubes for those "just in case" moments. Cameras and comm gear reside in tank bags.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Rigid briefcases also have that magical 12 x 16 dimension that fits the humped CycleRack yet are low enough for convenient trowing a leg over. All depends on how much storage volume one desires. I do not like gear rattling around so the soft expandable/ compressible valises please me.
Pelican and similar rigid cases are bomb-proof but after smelling the several day old aftermath of a tunafish can that rattled around until bursting has put me off them. I recommend rattle stopping big sponges to take up any excess volume. I like these medium density ones from the tile installation industry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Was thinking about a hard case but judging on the success you both described with bags, I’m thinking that might be the best direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something like this could be a good solution. I’d definitely be pulling it off the bike quite a bit. I live in NYC and use my dub to go to butcher, grocer, etc. want something to haul that stuff.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The 8 gallon Action Packer used to be a pretty common one. You can put a couple locks on them if you're worried about that sort of thing. I've got one but haven't mounted it up just yet. I lean more towards a duffel that I have for my trips, but around town a box can work great too. Sometimes they're big enough to hold your helmet while you're away.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
For urban security and convenience in The Big Apple perhaps take an idea from motorcycle courier services elsewhere...A big lockable hard shell with a removable inner bag to take into stores, home, etc.

Picture I believe was from Sao Paulo where modular helmets are making headway. Where full face chin bar equipped helmets are required it was not unusual to see most delivery riders with helmet perched atop head with chin bar riding on forehead...totally ineffective in an accident but compliant with letter of law.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
757 Posts
Hey all,

wondering if you have any suggestions for cases or bags that fit nicely on the cycle rack “hump” model. This being the one with the raised handle at the back. The actual mounting area is rectangular so that makes it difficult for many of the standard top cases.

photos for inspo would be very much appreciated!

thanks,
Ben
SHAD 39 TopCase, mounted on a Moose Racing rear rack is my setup. It will swallow up a full-faced helmet & jacket. I like it because it can be locked & it can be quickly removed from the baseplate, if I wanted to use a big or medium tail bag in its place, for versatility. If you ride rough terrain, bags are easier on the rear subframe (vibration) than a hard case, but less secure from theft/tampering if you leave your bike unattended, anywhere near the humans (@ a roadside stop), for example.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't have one but have been looking at them and thinking they look like they might fit an insulated pizza delivery box, could be something interesting to try. Would create a large soft platform to mount other soft bags or gear on. I'm a proponent of soft bags as much as possible. I do have a massive aluminum top box on my adventure bike, but only when commuting on the road, hard bags are dangerous, especially on the top.

Reactions: Fred
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.