TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loving my new to me 89 TW, but it needs more power! and a 6th gear.

The goal:
as much displacement as I can add easily, currently that looks like 230cc's ish
10.25:1 piston
6 speed
I'd like to keep it relatively quiet / stock sounding
kickstarter? ... im still debating on this

I picked up a used 2001 ttr225 engine for $375 including shipping. It arrived in a cooler inside a massive cardboard box

Upon initial inspection i found it turns over, and shifts through all the gears, but the shift shaft is bent

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A friend and I tore the new motor down to bits, with a few beers. We only ran into a couple issues.

Issue 1 this head bolt!

It backed out just fine, but got bound up when I went to slide it out... so i forced it with a wrench!
Turns out that the input rocker shaft was cranked in excessively, and protruded into the bolt hole of the head.
Here is the best pic I have of that issue

looks like someone was messing with the rocker shaft....unknown why, but i backed it out a little and now have clearance for the head bolt, once I get a new one

The other thing I ran into is this mystery part! Looks to me like part of a needle bearing, but I cannot find anything that is the correct size... any thoughts here guys?

This pic is to show its not this needle bearing

I had cleaned my bench before disassembly of the engine... and it appeared when i split the cases

here's the current mess

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
...or more beers...or moonshine!

Your post reminds me...I have an engine rebuild project I'd really like to get done this year. Then I'll have a spare running engine.

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohhhh moonshine, now we are talking 🥃. The ttr cases are not machined for the kickstarter. I've dug around in threads here and found most of the measurements, but I'm missing one. I'm looking for this measurement on a case that's already done. I'm seeing about 4 mm right now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
On a TW case, I'm measuring 3mm at that location, and 2mm to the inside lip. I like the 2nd measurement better. ;)

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gaskets are good. Would opt out of the oil seals and use OEM. Most of the aftermarket seals aren't so bad, but it only takes one to put a bad taste in your mouth. Always use OEM crank seals.
Have you used a Vertex gasket set on a TW? Unless I am missing something, there are no crank seals on a TW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know if I can use a newer 2001+ flywheel and stator, if I modify the connectors to fit my 89's wiring?

·
Registered
21 Posts
looking at the starter clutch and side cover part numbers, it looks like you should be able to. Not sure what you would be gaining. Is that stator output better on the newer ones? Heavier/lighter flywheel inertia? The pulse coil is separate, so knock yourself out with the stator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts