TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been here? I've just driven past on HWY 24 after visiting nearby Goblin Valley
11587623.jpg

This is another possible detour on way to or from MOAB 2017. The 50+ mile graded dirt loop looks safe and scenic for a solo cruise, maybe overnight @ Cathedral Valley Campground.
24018921.jpg

Any tips or experience? Would check r.e. road conditions first, can be deep water crossings.
j10_CV.JPG

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Like Great Basin and much of Death Valley this is one park where I'll unlikely get the opportunity to show my Park Pass, no one to show it to.
However I was curios about Baker Ranch Road, or other access from the NW and I-70, especially in late March, early April. Campground is at about 7,000ft.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Doesn't look real in the first picture. Or maybe I should say un-real?
Beautiful.

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought riding the dirt road among the "Temples" along the upper valley floor would be unique. The views from above by the primitive campground looking down certainly are awesome 3723680622_8e83f6f8cf.jpg 21759809640_719f8d4861_b.jpg
Mid day on the valley bottom still looks impressive DSC_0161.JPG

However supposedly sunrise on the valley temples shows the best colors. Thus the desire to spend night to capture the best lighting in the early morning. Valley floor is ~5,000 ft while the campground is a good 2,000 ft higher. Nasty bentonite clay on the drive in would make me cautious after any recent rain. Thus my curiosity about your experiences.
images.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Besides having climbed Mexico's Aztec Temples of the Sun and the Moon at Teotihuacan I thought visiting the Morman's same namesakes would be neat. Adds to my collection of multiple places with same place name....have lost track of how many Long Valleys, Bear Valleys, Lost Lakes, Blue Lakes, Mosquito Ridges, etc. over the years. Would not soon forget these vistas though.
Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon: images.jpeg

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you like BIG hill climbs and huge jumps, and who does't on their TW??? Then be sure to check out almost world famous Swingarm City....Just North of Hwy24 near Caineville if I remember correctly....Might be worth exploring a bit and on a weekend the Crazies might be out...think double backflips...I have only been there a couple of days and that was on a 450, but the TW would still be fun....

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stopped at Swing Arm City on my way back from MOAB 2015 with a busted Betty Boop after she sucked an exhuast valve down along the Colorado River. Deserted that day, with nary a track after recent rains, I pledged return trip some day with a healthy bike.
Only a two hour drive from Moab.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
we haven't been on the north side of highway 24, but have spent a few days south of the visitor's center. the Grand Wash and Capital Gorge were fantastic. you can drive 1/3 of the way through the mountain range and then park and walk the remaining 2/3 and come out the other side. 197.JPG 221.JPG 227a.JPG 239.JPG there are some good riding trails south of the Wash, in fact I believe there are at least 2 different ways to get to Boulder from there

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Which wash is Grand Wash? I see a Grand Gulch:p . Certainly the Burr Trail from Boulder on HWY12 through Long Canyon connecting to Waterpocket Fold and on up to HWY 24 could be part of an epic TW loop. Re-fuel in Fruita and slab back to Boulder...or overnight around Cedar Mesa's primitive campground and head south to Bullfrog Bay and the Colorado River. Soooo many options, not enough time or fuel.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Which wash is Grand Wash? I see a Grand Gulch:p . Certainly the Burr Trail from Boulder on HWY12 through Long Canyon connecting to Waterpocket Fold and on up to HWY 24 could be part of an epic TW loop. Re-fuel in Fruita and slab back to Boulder...or overnight around Cedar Mesa's primitive campground and head south to Bullfrog Bay and the Colorado River. Soooo many options, not enough time or fuel.

184a.JPG

Grand Wash is off the road ( scenic drive) that goes through the campgrounds south of the visitors center at Fruita. it's about 5 miles up the hill on the left. you can only drive a short ways in, but it is a fantastic drive, right inside the canyons. the hike after that is easy and well worth the time. the loop you mention would be a great ride, Long Canyon out of Boulder will be one of our campsites this year. you won't be able to fill up with gas at Fruita, but have to go into Torrey for that.

where are the Temples? is that in Cathedral Valley? that looks like a good stop this year also. I just find it on the map, guess I won't be towing the trailer in there, but a good campground on the highway and ride the bike in.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Fred, I attempted this route on my post-Moab run last year. I say attempted, because the weather and sub-frame issues made me turn back. I very much want to return to finish this route. I planned this and my other awesome Utah rides from a book called "Utah Byways" by Tony Huegel. It's intended as a light 4x4 by SUV type of guide, but I find the routes fantastic for dual sporting. Here is a link: http://amzn.to/2fYhQ2L There is a whole series of different states and areas. All seem great, highly recommended.

I'll embed my video below, but I also have write-ups and additional pictures of this and the other Moab and beyond rides from last year on the blog in "Utah": https://leisuretimelarry.wordpress.com/category/travel/utah/

FYI, I have done the Y carb vent mod.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice tour Larry. Looks worth re-viiting weather permitting.
About 140 miles from our North Camp makes this, as well as Swing Arm City, temprting detours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts