TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a more road friendly bike and these are the 2 I am considering.
I have never owned a road bike and I find my WR has lots of get up and go on the road, but it just is not the comfortable.

I like the Honda as it is supposed to be very nimble and there is the rally raid kit. Also a DualSportBC rider I know loves his.

The new Wee Storms come with spoked wheels, but I don't want to pay the much and am looking at used (cast wheels). A colleague of mine has the Wee Storm and has been happy with it and of course LT likes his.

I will be doubling Linda for some small trips, but I also want a bike I will be able to take on gravel roads at some point. (Not interest in the high bred Exotic European bikes) (Thinking Budget Japanese)

Is ABS a must have these days?

There are more used Wee Storms (6) on the market in my area than CB500Xs (2).

The used Wee Storms for sale in my area have 27000 Kms + and the Hondas have 6000 and 10000 Kms.

Thoughts and reasons on what you would get.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
125 Posts
That could be a tough choice, I had an 07 DL1000, a ton of fun and plenty of power, till it was totaled by a pickup truck... Suzuki had just announced the remake on the DL650, so I healed up, and replaced it with the "new" Wee. I absolutely cannot say enough good stuff about the 2012 + DL650. My wife had an 08 Wee, and as nice as it was, the newer model is very nice, enough change on the motor to be noticeable, nicer dash, with gear indicator, thermometer, trip computer, etc, all around, a very nice bike. I use mine for commuting and multi state tours, and it's very comfortable and capable of that, even two up.
You may have seen this article, but it seems a good comparison of the two. Last summer, I rode down Hwy 1 to Malibu and zig zagged back north through Nevada and California, those roads and bridges in the article look very familiar. Good luck with your choice, you can hardly go wrong.

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Byron,
I have read the article and kind of like the idea of the more nimble 500.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
I'd have to say to really consider the Wee or a Vee. These are awesome bikes. Great suspension, super dependable, more than enough power on either bike for 2 up, capable of putting a lot of luggage on it if you want, and many of these go many many thousands of miles with almost no maintenance, ergonomically very comfortable. I've had quite a few bikes over the years and I have to say, I think this is the nicest bike I have ever owned. They are a great bike, period. I love my Vee!! At least go ride one and see for yourself... :D

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Just read the article and review on both bikes, I think the Wee has more to offer overall.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know how tall you are, but you might also consider the height of the bikes. The V Strom has a pretty high seat height. Yes they can be lowered some. But the center of gravity is still pretty high on those bikes. Definitely no expert here but I did own one. They are indeed a very nice machine. I know nothing about the Honda.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
The Wee's seat does sit a little lower than the Vee. Ride one somewhere by all means before making your choice. I think you will be impressed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reasons? Twlight

Right now the rally raid kits are on back order so I would not be ordering one until next year if I went with the Honda. This would give me a chance to see if I like the bike.

·
Registered
976 Posts
reasons? Twlight

Right now the rally raid kits are on back order so I would not be ordering one until next year if I went with the Honda. This would give me a chance to see if I like the bike.
The stock CB500X is an OK little bike. It's a dutiful little around-town scoot and pretty fun in tight twisties. I put a little over 800 miles on my CB in stock form.

The Rally Raid Level 3 kit completely transforms the bike in a very good way, making it much more dirt capable without really compromising anything in street performance. Once Rally Raid comes out with the new lowered and forward peg mounts it'll be just about the perfect twin-powered replacement for a 650 thumper - and at only twice the cost! I think it's worth it (obviously) but I'll have to live with the bike for awhile longer before I'm 100% sure.

I bought my CB specifically to do the Rally Raid conversion, I honestly never would have considered it otherwise. Having ridden the stock bike for awhile, I still think that I'd rather have any number of other bikes than a stock CB500X. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad little sewing machine on wheels but before the conversion there just wasn't anything exciting about the CB for me. After the conversion - that's a different story :cool: - and one that I intend to tell in more depth in a separate thread (after a little more seat time) instead of hijacking yours further.

I have spent a bit of time on a friend's 2012 Wee-Strom, and I only have good things to say about the bike. The 650 V-Twin feels so much more powerful and satisfying than the Honda 500 parallel twin, it's a much bigger difference than the 150cc would suggest. The size of the bike also makes it more comfortable, it rides more like a big-boy adventure bike. There's a lot more room for 2 people and luggage on the Wee. The Wee has almost certainly got to be the biggest bang for your buck on the market.

If I were you, with your current stable, I'd go for a Wee-Strom over the CB500X. The Wee is going to give you a broader spread of capability in your lineup. If you do settle on the Wee, look for a 2012+ Adventure model.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
The stock CB500X is an OK little bike. It's a dutiful little around-town scoot and pretty fun in tight twisties. I put a little over 800 miles on my CB in stock form.

The Rally Raid Level 3 kit completely transforms the bike in a very good way, making it much more dirt capable without really compromising anything in street performance. Once Rally Raid comes out with the new lowered and forward peg mounts it'll be just about the perfect twin-powered replacement for a 650 thumper - and at only twice the cost! I think it's worth it (obviously) but I'll have to live with the bike for awhile longer before I'm 100% sure.

I bought my CB specifically to do the Rally Raid conversion, I honestly never would have considered it otherwise. Having ridden the stock bike for awhile, I still think that I'd rather have any number of other bikes than a stock CB500X. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad little sewing machine on wheels but before the conversion there just wasn't anything exciting about the CB for me. After the conversion - that's a different story :cool: - and one that I intend to tell in more depth in a separate thread (after a little more seat time) instead of hijacking yours further.

I have spent a bit of time on a friend's 2012 Wee-Strom, and I only have good things to say about the bike. The 650 V-Twin feels so much more powerful and satisfying than the Honda 500 parallel twin, it's a much bigger difference than the 150cc would suggest. The size of the bike also makes it more comfortable, it rides more like a big-boy adventure bike. There's a lot more room for 2 people and luggage on the Wee. The Wee has almost certainly got to be the biggest bang for your buck on the market.

If I were you, with your current stable, I'd go for a Wee-Strom over the CB500X. The Wee is going to give you a broader spread of capability in your lineup. If you do settle on the Wee, look for a 2012+ Adventure model.
Nice write up Don.

I was originally looking for a Wee myself, but I wanted a near-pristine bike and most of them I found, had too many miles. My personal thoughts are that the Wee is a great around town bike and also highway bike, perfectly capable of anything you want to do with it, 2up, luggage, enough extra power if needed pulling hills or passing, anything you want, no sweat, and it also gets pretty good gas mileage. The Vee on the other hand, is a bit of a gas hog around town, but if you want a bike with torque and power, they'll almost scare you or at least they will tell you to respect them. On the highway, it's like a Cadillac though, and gets pretty decent gas mileage and it has the overdrive. It just purr's along. A very sweet bike. I went with a Vee though, since the weight difference between the two bikes isn't much and there was a pristine one in town with 3,000 miles on it, although it is an 06, it was garaged, cared for, and only had a small scuff on one of the handguards. I am relatively sure that the guy I bought it from, was scared to death of it. Only thing I wish it had was ABS brakes, although it does an excellent job at stopping anyway. I always look for "keepers"; bikes that will last forever with the plan to keep them forever. This is one of those bikes. Also, as I age; it will get a sidecar on it eventually, if I can still ride. It's the perfect machine for that. Besides mine not having ABS brakes and the around town gas mileage, (which isn't really all that bad) I absolutely love this bike.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have never ridden or sat on the CB500X. BUT...I, too, tired of the limitations of the TW...in this small city (much bigger than a little town, yet condensed; it's outgrown its borders and high-rises are adding housing) with its big traffic problems, and its limited-access entryways...and me living just outside the city limits...EVERY trip on the TW was fraught with the knowledge that I'd have to watch my hiney until I got to the first set of stoplights. I love the thing; but bikes are purpose-specific. Since I wasn't hauling it to campsites, I really didn't have much use for it that it was suited for.

So, it and the CB1100 went away, both...make space for the Wee-Strom.

I am pleased as punch. It's not perfect, of course - I'm disappointed in the fuel mileage (average 53) which was almost the same as the twice-the-engine CB gave me. But the chassis is much-more balanced and the ergos feel right. That V-twin is a strong puller up to legal limits; of course, it runs out of wind long before the Honda four did...but I'm older now and triple-digit speeds are something I've done and don't need to do anymore.

I've had the Wee on fire-trails; and the suspension rolled with the punches. The smooth street tires it came with, don't encourage wilder off-roading; and if I get knobbies it'll work against it on the highway...but...the chassis is ready for what you might throw at it.

My advice is, if you do it...get crash bars. That plastic cladding is a lot more susceptible to damages from lie-overs, than the naked frame and tank of the TW. It's twice as heavy, too; and you'll feel it, maneuvering in close quarters.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
^^"It's twice as heavy, too; and you'll feel it, maneuvering in close quarters"^^

Best solution for the slow speed turn in; is raise the forks an inch. Highly recommend it if it feels slow in responding to you. Makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I cant comment on either bike( i personally would ride either one without hesitation) but i will put a comment in favor of ABS. In my opinion its worth it 100% if its available as an option. I have heard both side of the ABS argument but for me in the real world it has absolutely saved my bacon more than once on my Ducati. Most of the time it has involved panic stop situations in rain and on very slippery surfaces. The ABS did its job and allowed me to stay in control and come to a safe stop.

More than once i have had to do a panic stop when i was on a crosswalk that was totally paint covered and wet and another where my front wheel was on a wet manhole cover during a panic stop. Anyone that rides on the street knows that road paint and metal are like grease when they are wet for a bike with sport bike tires. Factor in a panic stop and its a recipe for going down or being in an accident with a car. I dont think its something to take for granted like folks do in cars now but the few times it has kicked in on my bike i am glad it was there.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check out 2012 Suzuki 650 ABS V Strom Adventure vstrom, LOTS of Extras! Offers?
What do you think?
I have emailed the guy and his plan was to go to Alaska on it, but his buddies are all on BMW GS1200 so he is going to upgrade. he spent the winter go over it and replacing the bolts with SS and powder coating the high wear areas.
He would like $10500 and then there is tax when I go to insure it (In the past Ihave had the receipt made out for less) .
I can get a new one with spoke wheels and a 5 year warranty for $12000 out the door but it would still need a skid plate and new tire.
Why do they put death wings on bikes?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a friend with the strom and has 100,000 plus miles on it. He rides it places I wouldn't take a TW! Ha! He's a 'big boy' as well. That bike is bullet proof. If you want a bike that will work, not let you down, consider the strom.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
That one is without a doubt, the nicest Wee Strom I've ever seen, period. Lot's of bucks in that sucker... wow.

·
Registered
976 Posts
check out 2012 Suzuki 650 ABS V Strom Adventure vstrom, LOTS of Extras! Offers?
What do you think?

I can get a new one with spoke wheels and a 5 year warranty for $12000 out the door but it would still need a skid plate and new tire.
Nicely appointed bike with lots of goodies, but how much is peace of mind and a set of spoked wheels worth to you?

4 years and 30,000 Km is significant. All of those farkles are nice, but are they exactly what you would choose? The kind of person who upgrades bolts is also probably the kind of person that installs aftermarket parts correctly and performs maintenance with care, but at the end of the day you're the one taking a chance.

For the price difference (even in $USD), I would go for the new bike with spoked wheels and warranty.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, bit the bullet so to speak and put my deposit on a new red 2015 V Strom EXP.
I will take possession this Friday.
Spoke wheels for the other bike would set me back over $3000.

I have a few years before I retire to get the bike where I want.

And I know pictures or it didn't happen:D But those will happen Friday.

Thanks for all the input

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
OK, bit the bullet so to speak and put my deposit on a new red 2015 V Strom EXP.
I will take possession this Friday.
Spoke wheels for the other bike would set me back over $3000.

I have a few years before I retire to get the bike where I want.

And I know pictures or it didn't happen:D But those will happen Friday.

Thanks for all the input
You might just find that; that Strom will be your retirement bike. Wait till you see how nice they are!!! :D

Just sayin bro, just sayin... Darn good bikes!! ;)

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
O, and a red one too!!! Sweet!!! :p

Reactions: ejfranz
1 - 20 of 24 Posts