TW200 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
8/2/17 update. I have sent a finished prototype of the CDI for a BW200 non electric start for testing on an actual bike. Just some fine tuning of advance curve remains. Also making prototypes for TW bikes and these will be DC powered with MUCH better spark than the OEM. Much easier starting and better idle.

A note to those who want to use some other CDI available from China etc. They may say advance and not have it plus you will not know the curve even if it does. A sure way to destroy your engine. Some of the things people express about CDI and the way it works scare me!

Thanks, Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

We need guys like you around here. You should be able to post pictures, links, etc after 5 posts.

Hi, new member, just here to offer solutions.

I repair CDI units, I have repaired many hundreds of them and also build custom units to solve problems like some other related and unavailable part is bad.
So I see that some of these CDI go bad, normal for such an old part but not to bad to fix or make new copy.
One of my many business is repairing all modules for Honda tractors and I have repaired some for BW since some people have found me and asked.
Since I cannot post link here I guess you must email me!!

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thanks LT, I am also a master mechanic as well as electronics nerd.
Welcome aboard. Where do you live? May help get some business.

Tom

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is great! Where were you when I needed you? I have a spare since this is such a problem. A while back, there were attempts to address this on this forum, but never got much beyond the silicone that I recall.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if there were any serious threads about someone making a replacement. if you could please refer me to that thread that would be great, all i find are dead ends and people giving up. next time someone needs one let me know and i will make a prototype. i already have all the software and hardware they use.
tom

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just a question, no offense intended but do you have any references for actual TW CDIs you have repaired? Reason I ask is the only thing I find about you is Honda tractor CDI repair on tractor forums and ebay. There does seem to be some crossover between Honda tractor and Honda motorcycle CDIs, but those CDIs are much simpler than a TW CDI because their static timing is where it should be, while Yamaha set the static timing of the TW such that only a microprocessor controlled CDI will work.

I'm not saying you don't possess the capability to rebuild a TW CDI. I'm merely asking for references if you do have experience with these specific CDIs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TW and BW CDI's do not use a microprocessor. They use a crude time delay with a quad op-amp at its heart. Honda mower CDI's use a dedicated time delay IC but much the same result. I have true microprocessor controlled CDI's for 1985 to 2000 BW and TW bikes. Need some people to test them on actual bikes and report the timing just for fine tuning of the curve.

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
TW200

advance tw200.JPG

It might be worth trying to find the same information on the '87 TW, which were reputed, (according to our local donut dealer), to have the edge on acceleration, though they also had the tendency to wheelie easily if you goose it ....

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
TW200

View attachment 122586

It might be worth trying to find the same information on the '87 TW, which were reputed, (according to our local donut dealer), to have the edge on acceleration, though they also had the tendency to wheelie easily if you goose it ....
Indeed, so be extremely careful ... :D

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.