TW200 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems it now has come to the point that posts are being "taken down" here in the basement for no other reason that somebody in the "management" thinks they might offend somebody, it doesn't have to be anybody personally, but it appears, if anybody is offended because they might be the subject, even it not mentioned, a post here and there is taken down...

Really? This is what the "free flow" of discussion has become?

We get new management and all of a sudden a few road blocks are tossed in the way....Good Luck with that, I am pretty sure the various Squeaky Wheel types who PM me, demanding that I put them on "Ignore"{not sure why they don't just do the same to me} are either in said management or behind the scene trouble makers...sorry, as a long time member and contributor on both the upper and lower level of this forum, I will not play that game...ban me if you wish, but I'll be damn if I will bow to some interlopers wishes that the majority on here be silenced.

:mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
The daft thing is, that your posting was “quoted” by somebody else — and his post —quoting the deleted post, is still showing.

Now I don’t know what the “offending” phrase used was — but it could be Black, Gay, Islamic, Tranny, fukwads, or even “don’t feed the troll” ……

Again — which one of these is either inaccurate, or incorrect ?

Censorship without justification, or at least explanation, is pretty pointless in my opinion. If you explain to us which phrase is objected to, then we can learn from that and move on — this way, any one (or possibly all six) “expressions” are now suspect, and to be avoided at the risk of censorship — we learn nothing — except perhaps that we have lost the power of free speech (within reason), and that almost anything we type in future is open to “censorship, without explanation, warning, or appeal”.

It’s a frankly ridiculous way to go about it — and given that the offending post was subsequently quoted in full by someone else — laughable.

However, instead of whinging on at this happening, I’m going to suggest a solution to both sides …..

Presuming that Mods have the ability to change the text in some-ones post, perhaps you could “redact” the offending words (asterisks would do), which would censor “some” of the post, while leaving the offending poster with at least an idea of what to avoid in future.

Because something needs to change here (and I have my own opinion of what it is) — or else some key players are just going to stop posting ……….

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It might be valuable to acknowledge that of the total forum membership there are only a few " key players" that frequently post in basement political threads.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purple Sez:

"or else some key players are just going to stop posting ………. "

And that is the problem for ownership....are they willing to cut their noses off to despite their faces? I usually spend an hour in the morning on the Internet, checking e-mail, Facebook, my Officiating websites, and TW....and about the same during weeknight evenings...

I can always move on...as can those of like minds...not suggesting that, but if you drown out the more frequent posters, on both the upper and lower levels, I will guarantee you the revenue will also "Go South"....just My Opinion...

I've stopped the personal bashes, but now, it appears, even if you touch on a subject that they put out, no matter how stupid or inane, if someone feels "offended" the post is scrubbed or deleted...:distrust:

·
Registered
319 Posts
If it's "Off Topic" it's off topic and folks don't need to go see it.

This is an amazing forum and I recommend it to all folks who like motorcycles. I'd had to see it all become "off topic" conversation.

Perhaps we need a real true section that is off topic and all things like what you are getting censored for can be housed there.

I'd like the main forum to be all TW related. I love the bike and all of you folks. Let's keep this working.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson
Hopefully he picks a Black, Gay, Islamic, Tranny...that way the fukwads on the far left...won't know what to Hell to say....
Once again real TW forum members....don't feed the troll...if we ignore it, eventually it will leave...

Might have been your fornicating ball of packing material that got it deleted

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How so might that be valuable? I'm always looking for investment opportunities.
It's not going to break the bank to lose a few members in order to raise the quality of the discourse.... invest in that...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Insofar as this is the best forum on the web that I have been a part of, leave it be. No matter what you change or start a new one, it will progress to the same. I would hope that all forums would be this decent. No matter what the issues are from changing sparkplugs to the political issues we have in this country, there will be adverse comments and different points of view. Anyone want to kill the 1st amendment?, I think not!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Remember the 1st Amendedment protects your right:

1. Not to speak
2. To wear clothing that symbolizes speech
3. To use certain offensive words and to say phrases that convey political activity
4. To contribute money to political parties
5. To sell commercial products and professional services

I see the first part of number 3 everyday......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who is deleting the threads?

Mine was nuked last week on a "Becky Bonzai" video from her travel VLOG on YouTube. No Idea why it was axed. It was funny but edgy (to be safe I labeled it NSFW). No PM or anything, it was just disappeared.

I participate on several forums, never had a problem or censored before.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Guys, let me get one thing straight with y'all. This is a privately owned and operated forum community. It is subject to the rules, guidelines, and desires of the owners as to how it is to be moderated, and to what standard. What it is NOT, is a "First Amendment Free-for-all".
If you need (or want) to be part of that style of forum, PM me, and I'll send you a recommendation.

The issues being addressed have much less to do with politics than it does to do with tone and attitude. Unfortunately, politics tends to polarize in normal times....what it does in THESE times is turn (somewhat) rational people into mouth foaming maniacs. So here's the thing: Discussing politics is acceptable here IF the conversations remain civil and respectful of the other community members here. When it degenerates into name calling, personal bashing, threats and the like, it will be stopped. Deletions of posts, entire threads, editing posts....all are in our toolbox. We'd rather not have to use those tools, but if the forum keeps breaking itself, we don't have much choice but to open the toolbox and fix it as best we can. We can't stop any of you from posting overly aggressive things here. What we CAN do is remove them.

IF these discussions can't stay out of the realm of personal attacks, threats or intimidation, we'll simply tighten the forum rules such that politics is 100% off limits. That's how it is on 90% of the sites I work, and for exactly this reason. If it comes to that point, any political commentary at all is subject to a ban....temporary or permanent. I don't think anyone here wants to go down that path...so let's not, ok? Keep it civil, keep it respectful, or keep it to yourself. That's up to each of you, individually. If you can't do it, we have to do it for you. And nobody likes that, do they?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"This place is for motorcycles"

No, the basement/other is NOT for motorcycles....it doesn't read that way...

And NOBODY should be bitching about First Amendment, it doesn't apply here...however, the point is the same....when you start "scrubbing" the threads and posts, to keep a few Interlopers happy, you will upset the entire Apple Cart...

And that is the POINT !\

Here is what the OTHER Section says:

Off-Topic
(55 Viewing)
Want to talk about something other than the TW200? This is the place for any and all discussions under the sun.

pretty simple, isn't it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
"We can't stop any of you from posting overly aggressive things here. What we CAN do is remove them."

Very well said. I believe some of the members are so filled with hatred for our political leaders and ethnic groups, that they don't realize what they sound like. I wonder at times if there loved ones, grandchildren, friends realize they are even posting with such strong language.
Maybe a ban on political posts is needed. That would put a stop to a lot of your problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Happy 4th of July!!!

·
Banned
198 Posts
I have read some of the opinions of the constitutional scholars on this web site and surmise that many of them are not [deleted] so that they have a place to keep their Skoal when they are eating lunch. We are bound together by 13 h.p. of raw unbridled brutal machinery. Go somewhere else and do the John Birch or ACLU rhetoric.
That is downright rude and offensive. Not at all surprised that Robespierre liked it thought. Please put me on your ignore list sir as I have no wish to enlighten the likes of you two.

·
Banned
198 Posts
"We can't stop any of you from posting overly aggressive things here. What we CAN do is remove them."

Very well said. I believe some of the members are so filled with hatred for our political leaders and ethnic groups, that they don't realize what they sound like. I wonder at times if there loved ones, grandchildren, friends realize they are even posting with such strong language.
Maybe a ban on political posts is needed. That would put a stop to a lot of your problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.
This is always the cry of the left. Free speech only applies to their speech.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.