TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my trip last year, while I was working on lubing my chain, a fellow motorcycle rider noticed that our beloved TW200 does not have a center stand on it. He was fascinated with the contraption that Lizrdbrth made to help with this chore. He followed my blog and we kept in touch throughout the year. I come to find out that he is an engineer and he just emailed me a couple ideas for a center stand/wheel stand solution.

He has submitted 2 ideas and would like to get feedback from this communities in which one would be a more suitable solution. In addition, he would like to get feedback to see if any members would be interested in purchasing a center stand for their bike.

AustinCenterStandDesign.jpg AustinWheelStandDesign.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have wondered myself why there is no centers stand for a TW.

But many dirt bikes or dual sports suffer from being ridden in places where a center stand will drag or get ripped off the bike during those tree jumping escapades, etc.

I have one on my Moto Guzzi V7 and love it.

I do wish we could have something.

Maybe I need to invent it and manufacture one.

Time to go into the shop.

·
Registered
736 Posts
mostly dirt bikes or off road types don't have them because of the height and weight. The bikes are usually light enough to lift them somehow for maintenance. Then on the other end...heavy cruisers like HD are too heavy to horse up on a center stand.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
On the trail, where you don't have your metal milk crate, you might want a center stand. I doubt if I would buy one, but I think I like the second/wheel stand option.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Another vote for the first option / center stand.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I use this. Enduro Star / Trail Stand

The design shown is very nice and I, too, prefer the first version. In all honesty, though, I doubt I would spend the additional $120 for one permanently mounted to the bike. I have 2 of these...one for each pair of bikes, plus, if you encounter another rider that needs it its no problem. A traditional center stand would be cool, though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Center Stand

I received an update from the maker of the Austin Center Stand. Here's what he had to say.

"Hello Gina!

Attached are two pictures of the proof-of-concept proto in action.

It works- and the design is currently being fine-tuned.

We also started putting together the crowdfunding campaign this past week, with a public launch date to be announced soon. By offering the stand through a crowdfunding campaign, we hope to provide opportunities for early adopters who want to get on board as beta testers as well as those who support the idea of made in the USA cottage fabrication but may themselves not be interested in the actual stand.

I'm working with the fabricators now to nail down the price point on batches of 10-12 at a time. Between the steel, the labor, and the powder coating, it's going to be tight.

Speaking of powder coating- what color would you like your test unit to be? Purple? :)

More soon-

Shane
[email protected]"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You'll need to carry 2 hockey pucks, pads, soda or beer cans with you, to keep either one of those designs from digging into and sinking into the dirt when you try and use them, rendering them both ineffective unless on a hard surface, like pavement or a driveway. I personally don't think there is a market for either one of those because of the exorbitant price compared to what you can buy for 10X less, and is not a hazard on the trail catching onto things and adding much more weight to your rig. And how do you keep that up when not in use, is it spring loadad ? But nice idea, just not financially practical at that price range. JMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts