TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I snuck out yesterday for a half-day of mountain riding. I had always wanted to check out this old road and finally did it yesterday. I was solo so I stayed on the main road and didn't try any of the mine off-shoots that seemed to drop off into the abyss. It was quite a bit colder than I expected and made me wish for a jacket before it was over. I will try and post some photos but I haven't yet on this forum so we'll see if I can. Only found one rattlesnake yesterday. Maybe tomorrow I will find more!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Its like deja vu all over again. Nice photos of a great road!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Denn, it looks like a great place to ride. Would you post the location. I would like to check it out next winter when I head down south.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Denn, it looks like a great place to ride. Would you post the location. I would like to check it out next winter when I head down south.
Its FS203 between Globe and Young. Its on the AZBDR route.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Just looked at the AZBDR route and the creek crossing is on it but somewhere else it diverts and goes through a different route than I took. I have hunting and guided in the area for years but haven't ridden directly up Cherry Creek Canyon, always taking other roads in the past.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Damn....sure wish I would have been riding enduros when I lived out there. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got out again today- hit some new country. I was able to ride all the way to the upper Salt river. Some of the roads were stupid steep and had either lots of rocks or gulleys that went from one side of the track to the other. You had to pick your line and hope it didn't run out or you ended up in a ditch. Decomposed granite is tough to get traction on. I never laid it down but I came close a couple of times! I came around a corner on a steep section and a 5' bull snake was stretched out in front of me. I couldn't miss him all together but I only ran over his tail! I had a deer jump over me too-exciting ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you look closely, you can see an old landing strip along the river

This is adjacent to the Salt River Canyon Wilderness area. Access is via F.R. 303 and 303A. The drinker and rough trails are a side road off F.R. 645. All of this in Tonto Nat. Forest.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Somebody should throw some minnows in that drinker. Its nice that you decided to share some of your adventure. I was in Tempe a couple of months ago with the TW and ms. redbelly 2up exploring dirt roads and giant saguaro at Saguaro National Park. Stunning! They have Pima air & space Museum out there. ;)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
"...If you look closely, you can see an old landing strip along the river..."

Old drug smuggling route?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bike only has a couple hundred miles on it so I am still learning about it. It's been a few years since I have ridden my own motorcycle. I rode professionally for 10 years so I have definite preferences.
I noticed that on the good roads yesterday, I would push as fast as I could around the curves- sometimes this wasn't very fast. Several times the front wheel would just jump out from under me. Never had the back wheel slip; front always went first unless I was really slow and spun the rear wheel in loose stuff. Can't wait to try a different tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very nice, I have been to Young many times but have not taken that detour. Something new to look forward to, Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts