TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I neglected my chain so bad it started squeaking... stock chain. Im cheap and lazy, so instead of buying the proper chain-specific lubricants and waxes I just cleaned it with wd40 and a tooth brush. then I took some of my mobil 4t 10-40 dipped the toothbrush in that, and went over the chain with it. I noticed the mobil 10-40 actually cleaned the chain (and the brush?) a lot better than the wd40 did.

took it out on the trail afterward, seemed to ride fine, squeaks are gone. and no dirt stuck to the chain?? looks almost perfectly clean. usually I notice dust and mud caked on there, but not this time.

so what say ye? chain abuse, or am I good to go using motor oil to lube my chain??

thanks for your time and expertise!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Clean in kerosene and soak over night in 90 - 140 gear oil -- the cheapest you can find. Good for 300 to 500 miles depending on conditions. It is labor intensive but my chain has between 15K and 17K miles on it and the sprockets look fine too.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My previous bike,Honda 650L,the manual said to use 75---90 weight gear oil?;would seem to be a bit messy,but,it should work quite well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya the 10-40 flew right off, spotty rust on my chain in just a few days! got the gear oil, it works. Lucas 85-140 stuff, thick as honey, not going to fly off to say the least. thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Speaking of the drive chain. I looked at my chain yesterday and thought..."man,that thing looks loose"!.So I measured it,close to 2 inches of travel(probably more like 1 7/8's).Hmmmm,not over the spec,but close enough.So,I adjusted it one notch.Movement of only one notch(to tighten it up),brought the chain down to 1.5 inches of travel...or so.I suppose I should let the chain go until it reads just past two inches?.Yes,the chain from front to rear sprocket was inline.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
What about chainsaw bar oil. That sh&$ sticks to everything and you could buy the cheap brand at a tsc or rural king "farm type store"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts