TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Gerry, once again I like your use of rare earth magnets. More of a rather clever measuring device, or gauge, rather than a tool. I was hoping to see some new tool to adjust axle position without first properly putting bike on a stand so the tire is off the ground. Rag still works between sprocket and chain to move axle forward. However to move axle rearward with the new extended swing arm I find myself needing an equally extended pry-bar to fit between tire tread and front of swing arm.:rolleyes:
Nice prototype, thanks for taking time to make and share video with us.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred, some years ago I made a tool that might work for you. It indexes the holes in the rear axle adjusting snails and provides leverage to use the snails to force back the rear axle. The tool I am making reference to can be seen to the extreme left. I will check it in the morning to see if it works with the wheel still on the ground. Gerry

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
You are one cool guy Gerry. The gears in your head are always turning. I like that. :D

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
+1, Gerry is one clever inventive fellow.
I shall now go adjust my new o-ring chain without the benefit of Gerry's fine tool set up and see if a scrap 2x4 will still be capable of levering axle rearward. I could put bike on stand to move axle rearward a bit more than necessary,but would then need to put bike back on ground to finish adjustment and engage snails in the proper detents.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fred, working on your tool as you post. Your tool will be more robust than mine, as I know you are a 'robust' type of guy. I tried my tool this morning and was able to move the axle forward/back with out elevating the rear wheel. Don't know what you use to loosen your axle nut, but perhaps you might want to add this to your order. Gerry

·
Registered
807 Posts
Cool tool :) I just use a tape measure setting on its back side with enough of the blade out for one of the "inch" marks to line up with the bottom of the chain then lock the blade down. Hands free measuring :)

I am a little confused on the difficulties of moving the axle for and aft though. I use the adjusters themselves to move the axle back, then smack the tire with my 5 pound dead blow to make sure its seated in the adjuster detent. That obviously wouldnt work on the trail cause I dont take my dead blow with me but a swift kick with my boot would work just as well.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Fred, working on your tool as you post. Your tool will be more robust than mine, as I know you are a 'robust' type of guy. I tried my tool this morning and was able to move the axle forward/back with out elevating the rear wheel. Don't know what you use to loosen your axle nut, but perhaps you might want to add this to your order. Gerry
Is that something you bought or made? I need one :)

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Gerry, please don't go to any special effort on my behalf as far as any chain adjusting tools goes. Once I remove the initial stretch from my new-ish O-ring chain I should be able to go many a mile between infrequent adjustments....or so says the scuttlebutt here.
I was just admiring your ingenuity.
From your video it seems your Mister Gismo-mobile is not exactly in stock configuration. ;) After wrestling my Betty Boop out of a silty trench she dug herself into last week I am starting to appreciate your bike-lifting rod idea. Either I am loosing some stamina at elevation or Betty is putting on weight 'cause lifting the TW is not as easy as it was a decade ago.:( Oh to be a teenager again!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not sure what constitutes "special effort", but the tool is finished and the paint is drying as I type. If you have a stock TW axle wrench, send it to me, and I will weld on a couple of half circles so your new tool can also double as leverage arm. On it's own, the stock 19mm tool is of minimum value when it comes to tightening/loosening that axle nut. Now you will have a 'multi tool' that you can take on the trail as well. Please PM me and provide a reminder as to your mailing address.

Fred, think I now understand your affinity with rare-earth magnets. Seems to be in keeping with your previous employment and personality; that is to say, you are pretty much a 'one of a kind' fellow (rare) and as well, seems you have spent some years of your life analyzing the earth. In an effort to acknowledge this connection, I found a way to enhance the function of your tool by adding a "rare-earth" magnet.
Gerry

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think you have all heard about Toys for Tots. Well I have formed a new foundation, Tools for T-Dubbers. In the final hours, a final touch; not only is it orange like Ms. Boop, it is heat tolerant up to 500 degrees. No need to worry about mrgizmow tools when trying to outrun a raging forest fire, ROBUST TOOLS FOR ROBUST RIDERS.........

Think I have pretty much pushed it to the edge of "Special effort" but lots of fun. Gerry

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Gerry, you are amazing.
I see how your tool works by engaging the cam snail facilitating easier snail rotation. In old pictures of your tool kit I had wondered what that odd looking original tool's function was, it is self evident now.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Cool tool :) I just use a tape measure setting on its back side with enough of the blade out for one of the "inch" marks to line up with the bottom of the chain then lock the blade down. Hands free measuring :)

I am a little confused on the difficulties of moving the axle for and aft though. I use the adjusters themselves to move the axle back, then smack the tire with my 5 pound dead blow to make sure its seated in the adjuster detent. That obviously wouldnt work on the trail cause I dont take my dead blow with me but a swift kick with my boot would work just as well.
I don't even take it that far with chain adjusting, i just eyeball it. I'm with you tho on moving the wheel. I have never found it to be an issue.

BTW, there are tire iron/ wrench combo's out there. I have these in my kit .
Amazon.com: DRC Pro Spoon Tire Iron w/ Wrench 22mm D59-10-922: Automotive
http://www.amazon.com/DRC-Spoon-Tire-Wrench-D59-10-919/dp/B003UMDYQC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GZWP6DV8H55H3AY007E&dpID=31pB0JV%2BLwL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I just check chain tension by wiggling it up and down and adjusting it accordingly.
BTW Gerry, nice wrench mod for those with wimpy wrists.
I worry more about over tightening bolts and nuts. I could get a job in a slaughterhouse strangling cows with my grip.
It come from miles upon miles in a wheelchair.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
So look what showed up in today's mail: Mr. Gizmo's Snail Chaser autographed by the man himself and rendered in "Loose-Me-Not Orange"! The two round lugs engage the holes in the snail while the powerful shiny magnet holds everything in place while I grab the camera. This will make chain tension adjustments so much easier. image.jpg Thank you Gerry. image.jpg

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Boy, never gave any thought to your snail position being any different than mine. It appears the leverage advantage will be minimized by the marginal ergonomics. Given the tools position, does the magnet contact much of the snail? It appears to hold, but it is hard to tell if your bike is laying on it's side or is vertical. You should be able to utilize the large and next smallest hole as well should that position prove better. Perhaps my snail adjusters have been flipped as I remember Russ making reference to doing that for some reason. I better have a talk with my engineers. Appreciate the pictures. Gerry

·
Registered
198 Posts
Gerry, I think those photos are upside-down.....,if you click on them they will show up the way they were intended. That's actually the tool that I asked you about.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Boy, never gave any thought to your snail position being any different than mine. It appears the leverage advantage will be minimized by the marginal ergonomics. Given the tools position, does the magnet contact much of the snail? It appears to hold, but it is hard to tell if your bike is laying on it's side or is vertical. You should be able to utilize the large and next smallest hole as well should that position prove better. Perhaps my snail adjusters have been flipped (right to left, left to right side) as I remember Russ making reference to doing that for some reason. I better have a talk with my engineers. Appreciate the pictures. Gerry

Fred, here is what I was making reference to, and comparison photos. T
his is now, note the tac welds securing snail to axle: IMG_0466.JPG

This is what is looked like before I followed Russ's advice:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts