TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a 2006 model TW. When I adjust my chain to where it is correct according the the service manual, both sides are in #5 notch. No matter how tight I tighten the axle bolt/nut, when I take it for a ride, the chain side adjuster works it's way to the fully loose position. The right side stays put in the #5 notch. It's the left side that won't stay put. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron,

This is a new one to me! Is the axle on the chain side moving forward also, or is it just the snail adjuster that is slipping under the axle head?

Brian

The snail adjuster slips to the fully loose position on the chain side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ron,

This is a new one to me! Is the axle on the chain side moving forward also, or is it just the snail adjuster that is slipping under the axle head?

Brian

The snail adjuster slips to the fully loose position on the chain side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The snail adjusted ends up at the fully loose position and the axle moves forward so the chain is too loose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am a little worried that when someone figures this out I might have egg on my face. :(

The bed is calling. I'll check in tomorrow.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
When you make the adjustment, how much slack are you leaving in the chain? Are you using a torque wrench to tighten the axle?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Are you slamming the rear wheel forward so the notches are seated in the tab before you tighten the axle bolt? It seems unlikely that the axle will first loosen enough to allow the wheel to go back first, allow the snail to disengage and then move forward to allow the chain to loosen.

GaryL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you make the adjustment, how much slack are you leaving in the chain? Are you using a torque wrench to tighten the axle?

Thanks for the reply

I tighten the chain to where I can lift it an inch with my finger pressing upward half way between the front and back sprockets. I have not been using a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut. How many footpounds should it be? I have been tightening it as tight as I dare without stripping the threads or breaking something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you slamming the rear wheel forward so the notches are seated in the tab before you tighten the axle bolt? It seems unlikely that the axle will first loosen enough to allow the wheel to go back first, allow the snail to disengage and then move forward to allow the chain to loosen.

GaryL

Thanks for the reply.

I make sure the wheel is forward enough so the pin is in notch #5 on the snail adjuster. Then I tighten the axle nut as tight as I dare using a 14 inch handle and socket.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Manual says 65 foot pounds of torque for the rear axle nut. I imagine only way your problem could occur is if axle nut is coming loose. I assume axle threads and nut are un-lubricated and in good condition, if so confirm tightness with torque wrench. 14" handle has your hand exerting pressure no more than an average of 12" from axle so you would have to twist with a good 60+ pounds; I'ld say get a longer breaker bar or torque wrench and see if problem persists.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Manual says 65 foot pounds of torque for the rear axle nut. I imagine only way your problem could occur is if axle nut is coming loose. I assume axle threads and nut are un-lubricated and in good condition, if so confirm tightness with torque wrench. 14" handle has your hand exerting pressure no more than an average of 12" from axle so you would have to twist with a good 60+ pounds; I'ld say get a longer breaker bar or torque wrench and see if problem persists.

Thanks Fred. I have a torque wrench, so I'll tighten the axle nut to 60 foot pounds. After lunch I'll go for a ride and see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Fred. I have a torque wrench, so I'll tighten the axle nut to 60 foot pounds. After lunch I'll go for a ride and see what happens.

Thanks Fred. I put the torque wrench on it and the nut began to turn at 50 pounds. I pushed it up to 60 and then took a 25 mile ride in the back country. The chain stayed just right. I knew I would end up with egg on face. :(

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Thanks Fred. I put the torque wrench on it and the nut began to turn at 50 pounds. I pushed it up to 60 and then took a 25 mile ride in the back country. The chain stayed just right. I knew I would end up with egg on face. :(
Egg on your face is way CHEAPER than having to order parts! I prefer my eggs over easy. Although scrambled eggs scatter from my glasses much quicker with less grease streaks:D

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Something else that may help is if before you tighten the axle you put a rag between the rear sprocket and the chain, and then turn the rear tire until the rag is snugly jambed between the two. This will make the chain taught, force the axle forward, and fully seat the snail adjuster scallops agains the little pins on the swing arm. Now tighten the axle.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Late to the party, but I sure was hoping the snails weren't on the wrong side. Glad it was just a matter of tightening the axle nut more. Whew!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts